Unregistering from RCU

mpj220 et al,

I have it from Marc himself that all you have to do is not visit RCU for 30 days, and your account is automatically deleted. You can also have your account manually deleted by an administrator by simply requesting it. It'll happen as soon as they're not running around like decapitated chickens, putting out fires.

RCGroups, the site that's "going to take over," the site that's "the standard by which all others are judged," does NOT have a way to unregister yourself at this time, either. I've personally confirmed this. Torqueroll? Same story from what I'm told. I don't know, I don't like what torqueroll did to the layout.

Also, ad rates are based on clicks, not membership numbers. This information is from Nathan, one of the administrators. These guys are under close scrutiny, and they'd be in deep doo-doo business-wise if caught in a lie right now, so they have every incentive to be upfront and truthful about site policies.

Sorry to see y'all go, but I hope this information helps.

Reply to
Mathew Kirsch

Good. It will then be only 24 more days before I am un-registered.

MJC

Reply to
MJC

It will be interesting to see how many of RCU's paid advertisers bail out when the 30 mark is hit and the modeler usage dramatically drops. Greed never wins.

Reply to
jeboba

Thank you Mathew for addressing this with the administration of the site. For those that wish to have their account manually deleted, should they request via post, PM or email?

You are correct that other sites do not have a way to unregister from the them. I should hope that if an individual requested that they be removed, it would happen. I have been informed that posts requesting such on RCU were deleted. Actually, it would be nice if vBulletin were to add this to their platform.

I think that rcgroups is viewed by many as the "standard" due to the level of professionalism and knowledge of the user base. Their sister website,

has always seemed to set the bar quite high for electric flight. Very rarely do you see any posts with a negative overtone to them. They even have an "off topic" forum that does not get out of hand - now that is rare! I don't believe I have ever seen a thread there saying "why was my thread or post deleted?" They now have more participation in the fuel forums. I wish them well. Tourqueroll is a very new forum. I like the layout. It is quite similar to the old RCU layout (you did not like that?). They are still quite small in terms of membership as compared to RCU. They have over doubled the membership numbers in less than a week. Participation is up as well. I believe that last evening there were more than 15% of the registered users were active on the site. Not too bad for a site that was launched in July. Personally, numbers are not nearly as important to me as the users. Quality, not quantity goes a long way.

I appreciate your efforts regarding my request for unregistering. Please keep us informed of when this policy is activated.

With all the chicken and fires, I would suggest a barbecue.

Mark

Reply to
mpj220

I was a high-posting member of RunRyder and asked to be deleted, I was told it was against policy to do so as it removes the ability to follow threads if one person's contributions are removed

Reply to
David Smith

Has this been activated yet?

I have not visited the site for more than 30 days. Have I been unregistered yet?

Please update regarding this new policy.

Thank you, Mark

-- mpj220 - Addicted to RC planes

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Posted from the RCGroups.com Discussion Forums. Visit us at

mpj220

For those that don't recall the original thread:

upfront

-- mpj220 - Addicted to RC planes

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Posted from the RCGroups.com Discussion Forums. Visit us at

mpj220

Are you telling me that G136, C4523, V473 and about 10,000 or more of there friends with similar names, all registered on 1-1-03, are not real people? That explains why they have no posts. Hey, they could just be shy. I wonder if they provided credit card info so they could list in that awesome marketplace. I was hoping that this statement coming from a moderator on the site (Mathew Kirsch) may have some ring of truth. " I have it from Marc himself that all you have to do is not visit RCU for 30 days, and your account is automatically deleted."

I had inquired of the proper procedure to have my account manually deleted and there was no response.

Reply to
mpj220

I do have it from Marc himself. He, and two other site admins confirmed the policy for me when I asked. Whether that policy is implemented and working or not is another question that I can't answer. From what you're telling me, either the automatic deletion isn't working, or Marc's lying.

Since it is not in Marc's best interest to lie, I must conclude that the mechanism by which accounts are automatically deleted is not working yet. With all the scrutiny he's under (you'd think that people who hate RCU so much would just want to forget about it and let it die, but no, they visit the site as often, or MORE often than I do), he's not likely to get away with anything for long. If he's basing his advertising rates on lies, his advertisers will drop him like a hot potato rolled in broken plate glass.

Inquired of who? Check groups.google.com. I told you to contact me back-channel to get the appropriate email address. I never got an email from you.

If you want your account deleted, send an email to "admin at rcuniverse dot com." From there, it is up to Marc or one of the other admins to handle it. Easytiger managed to get his account deleted. I'm sure you can, too.

Guys, if you're in the publicity business, you know that any press is good press. Keep ranting and raving. All you're doing is getting more people to check out the new RCU, and some of them will like it.

Reply to
Mathew Kirsch

Mathew, If my account is still there, then this policy has not been activated. I have not visited the site since well before the change.

Yes, you did request for me to email you regarding manual deletion. Your next statements were regarding the amount of spam and virus embedded emails you were receiving since speaking your mind. I certainly do not need someone accusing me of any spam or virus related email and I was not about to reveal my email after statements like that. It should not be to hard to delete my account - the name there is the same as here and any other forum I belong to. I will send email to admin at ..... requesting deletion. I hope that it will work.

Just for your information, I do not hate RCU. I simply do not wish to support a site after Admin referred to most of the users as leeches. Furthermore, the site ownership and policies were changed without notification. I do not accept the changes in policy nor have I entered into any agreement with the new owners therefore, I have asked for deletion of my account and the discontinued use of any of my registration information.

If you believe that it is not in his best interest to lie, you are truly mislead. Here is a stock tip for you...Buy Enron!! I heard it from the CEO himself that it will give a great return.

Since any press is good press, can I send a bill for my time? I would be glad to attach a link to rcu to all my posts for a moderate fee.

Reply to
mpj220

Matthew, you are completely sucked into the baloney, and sometime sooner than later, you are going to wind up with serious egg on your face for having so religiously defended what turned out to be not such a good thing. "Why would Marc lie?" For the money. DUH. I did not "manage to get my account deleted". I was deleted by marc for calling him out on some of his BS, which turned out to be TRUE. And NO, it's not " All you're doing is getting more

a PR spin if I ever heard one. RCU is fading fast. Notice the auction thing has failed completely? Notice the classified section is dying? Notice the desperate attempts to get people back, with "free upgrades", etc... Notice the lack of posts? You can try to spin it any way you want, but no matter how you slice it, it's still baloney. It was pretty funny watching Marc get heckled off of e-zone. People were not buying his line of jive. And somebody else said it even better...Marc did not like being in a situation where he could not just delete anything he did not like . So he took his ball and left in a huff. Then he came back a couple of days later under a different name and left a press release there about the "new free RCU". That was him, wasn't it?

Reply to
easytiger

Are you implying that I would purposely send you virus-infected email because your opinion differs from mine? I thought it was pretty clear in my statement where I suspected the virus-infected emails were coming from, my email address being posted in the clear and all, and that I did NOT want anyone else to be subjected to the same problem.

admin at rcuniverse dot com. Go ahead, post it. If you hate RCU, send an email to this address requesting your account be deleted.

There were mitigating circumstances behind that statement. How much abuse should a person have to take? People were viciously attacking him from every direction for every reason imaginable. It's these people that he was referring to as leeches, not "most of the users." What else would you call someone to whom you provide FREE services, who then STAB YOU IN THE BACK VICIOUSLY AND REPEATEDLY when you decide to make changes to those FREE services, and God-forbid, try to make a little money off some of them?

You never signed on to the new RCU:

The first time you log into RCU, even if you have an old account, you are required to go through the sign-in process, which, IIRC, included agreeing to the terms and conditions of the site.

Enron is PROOF that it's not in Marc's best interest to lie. They got caught in a lie, and the whole thing came crashing down. Truthfully, I haven't been following the story, but aren't a bunch of people going to jail for a long long time because of the scandal? Yep, proof positive that it's in Marc's best interests to lie...

Send the bill to the owner of USENET. The forum in which the writing is published is responsible for paying the writer :)

Reply to
Mathew Kirsch

Mathew, It was you not I that claimed of bogus emails resulting from different opinions. I simply refuse to share my email or send you mail after statements like that. There is no accusation.

I had asked Marc for his definition of the RCU leech, this is a direct quote from Marc on 07-13-2003 11:49 PM est: "those who drain the sites resources which require money to provide but don't pay anything for those resources" and on the flip side we have "those who also drain the sites resources but pay a small amount to cover what they drain out of it" From the previous posts in the thread, he was referring to those that donated via paypal and those that did not.

I do not see any mitigating circumstances at all there. It seems very cut and dry - two classifications. I see a person that is completely ungrateful in the amount of participation of the users. Without users posting information, the site would not exist....period! Advertisers would not be interested at all. Do I feel that someone should profit from providing a service - yes, absolutely. I think it is only fair that if you sell something (or profit in some way) utilizing resources of others, it is only fair. I don't think auction style is the way to go, eBay seems to have that venue covered.

My reasons for not wanting to be involved with the site is due to the attitude of the administration. Practices such as name calling (leeches). Also, before the new site was launched, there was a few threads discussing the new site. I personally don't care about advertising, unless it is obtrusive. What I did not agree with is the full page ad concept at that time. You could turn off full page ads with upgraded membership. I thought that it was very deceptive for the advertiser, unless they were notified of how many were not viewing ads. Also, a very long time ago, Marc promised that you would never see popup ads on rcu. While by definition, full page ads are not popups, they certainly are very similar and imho more annoying than a popup. The constant deleting of entire threads or portions of them as some opinions differed from the admin or the moderator was getting annoying as well. Hard to believe that someone would do such a thing over a difference in opinion.

Since I never signed on with the new rcu and haven't accepted the new terms of use, WHY IS MY ACCOUNT STILL ACTIVE? Should I sign on and see if there is an option button "DO NOT ACCEPT" and my account will be terminated?

mpj220

Reply to
mpj220