Guess I won't be using R/C Universe anymore.

While I do appreciate your willingness to clarify and with all due respect Mathew, I must disagree . This thread has nothing to do with other threads that you may be participating. Profanity should never had entered it at all.

I believe you are incorrect regarding posts being deleted. I have personally seen entire threads started by the forum administrator suddenly get locked down and disappear. I don't understand why as admin asked for people to give opinions only to delete the thread. What useful purpose does that serve? As for censoring, it most certainly does exist on RCU for quite some time. While I do not use RCU now, I can say that, in the past, users were unable to type

or
without all asterisks appearing. I believe that you are not even able to type certain people's names such as Joe Hunt. I did not notice these exceptions in the rules when I signed up, therefore I would consider that censorship. Speaking of rules and policies. They have since changed from when I originally registered with the site. There were no provisions at that time allowing the administrators to modify their policies. I suggest that the administrators should suspend every users account and have them register with the new site and agree to the new policies.

You are correct by stating that children have probably seen or heard the profanity that you decided to add. I would hope that they would not see it in print from a RCU moderator trying to promote his view on the site. Do the administrators there allow the same use of profanity in an effort to get a point across? I would bet not.

Mark

Reply to
mpj220

Tim,

You're way off here buddy. RCU isn't the thing to be thanking for all of the great information that you've gotten from the site. RCU provided you no service.

It was the PEOPLE who USED THE SITE. Without the people, it was as useful as a 9-0 prop.

RCU is flat out equaled by a dozen sites that have been out there forever, it just happened to have the people. Now the jackas who runs it (who is doing nothing different than the 12 others out there) decides he wants to use everybody to make a buck.

I can sell my plane on sitex over here for free, or I can give this dork a fee to sell it here? Hmmmm, tough decision! Christ, I already had eBay, why do I need this chode?

Reply to
mineeart

If it costs me ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to switch to this other ARF over here, I go to the website that isn't charging me.

Google.com spends a lot of time on my screen too.... will I still use it if they put up ads and start charging for searches? No, because I'm not as stupid as you seem to be.

Reply to
mineeart

With all due respect, I must disagree. It's the exact same batch of complaints that everyone else is making.

I'm sure the original intent of the threads was to elicit constructive criticism and legitimate input. That didn't happen. People took it as an opportunity to "rip RCU a new one." What useful purpose does leaving such threads up and open serve?

If they were censoring the truth, I'd have to agree with you. However, when the message being spread is untrue and harmful to the very site it's being spread on, action must be taken for the good of the site.

If the site were publicly funded, your cries of censorship would be merited. Unfortunately, RCU, RCGroups, RunRyder, DownOnTheDeck, TorqueRoll, and all these other sites are benevolent dictatorships. They're privately owned, and they're all guilty of censorship to some level. One of the long-standing rules at RCU is, no advertising for competing sites. That's Marc's perogative, and 60,000 members found it agreeable before the switchover.

Reply to
Mathew Kirsch

| If they were censoring the truth, I'd have to agree with you. However, | when the message being spread is untrue and harmful to the very site | it's being spread on, action must be taken for the good of the site.

Do you really believe what you're saying? If it's representative of the feeling of the moderators of R/C Universe, no wonder people are complaining!

Reply to
Doug McLaren

Double-plus-good reasoning, Mathew! ;-)

-tih

Reply to
Tom Ivar Helbekkmo

Does this justify using profanity? Especially from a moderator of the site. Does it allow you to resort to personal attacks as in other threads? Does it also justify spreading misinformation regarding the capacity of Mr. Bourke's site?

Providing the posts were within RCU rules, I do not see the reason for the removal.

It appears that you have misinterpreted my statements regarding censorship. You are correct that all of these sites mentioned are privately owned and use of each is outlined by the owner. I would be willing to go out on a limb and state that they all have some level of censorship. The level of each seems to differ. There seems to be the "mature level" consisting of filtering for profanity. There is also the "immature level" consisting of filtering for other websites and names due to personal differences. Why not disclose a list of words outside profanity that will not be allowed on the site in the user agreement?

I did not realize that there were 60,000 members before the switchover. Of that number, How many have been actively logged on the site within the last three months? I wonder how many will be active over the next three months. I do hope that the administrators there will give users the option to cancel their membership. Had I realized that registering with that site was a lifetime membership, I never would have done so.

Reply to
mpj220

I think RCU has been invaded by the Borg... or George Orwell.

Reply to
Warren May

I am 2 of the supposed 60,000. Asked for one id to be removed months ago. Never happened. I didn't ask for the changes. The site was super the way it was. So much for doing things for members' benefit and honest membership count.

Reply to
DennisM