Krylon crystal clear 1301 Acrylic Coating

Yes it is available everywhere. However rather than just paying for spray cans has anyone come up with bulk item in pints or quarts that can be thinned and used in an airbrush. Is there a substitute for spray krylon that one can use in his own spray equipment. I am finding good uses for the spray on gampi tissue for light models. I am using Apple Barrell brands for airbrushing and it is water based which is great for spraying foam and tissue models. Cutting with alcohol speeds drying time and spreading evenly. Now if I could find the clear gloss like Krylon that would be great. I am sure someone has come up with a substitution instead of the cans of spray. Doc Ferguson

Reply to
Doc Ferguson

On 21 Oct 2006 14:10:46 -0700, I said, "Pick a card, any card" and "Doc Ferguson" instead replied:

Seems to me that any clear acrylic wood finish would work if thinned. Try the local hardware store.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

Try Future floor finish. It's acrylic and can be cleaned up with ammonia.

Reply to
Mark Daughtry, SR

Good idea. A few years back I built a 12 foot Telemaster and used Coverite 21st Century prepainted fabric. Fantastic stuff and easiest covering job I had ever done. I did, however, seal the edges with clear polyurethane. Worked for me. Frank Schwartz

Reply to
Frank Schwartz

Try Minwax Polyurathane Clear Varnish...water cleans it up...

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

Having been out of modeling since the late 50s, I joined this group to try and get caught up with technology. My question is, would these finishes be fuel proof or they for use with electric power only?

Randy

"Six_O'Clock_High" >>up with ammonia.

Reply to
BCRandy

The miniwax polyurathane sounds like the best idea. I am sure I could cut it with alcohol and aid in spraying thin coats and speed up drying time. Thanks

Doc Ferguson

Reply to
Doc Ferguson

This would be mainly for light framed electric powered. The spray would add strength and not suffer from weight gain if applied correctly. Doc Ferguson

Reply to
Doc Ferguson

If you let it cure properly and apply 2 coats, it is good. I know for sure that I have tested it at 10% on a regular basis. I think I have tested it at 15% but I don't recall for sure, it may have been on a bird that did not get the Minwax.

Jim

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

Hmmm, Water soluble? Wouldn't it be better to thin it with water or am I wrong?

Reply to
Ed Forsythe

MinWax Polycrylic is fuel RESISTANT to 15% nitro as long as you follow the following caveats:

  1. Let the poly dry a MINIMUM of 7 days before exposing to exhaust residue.

  1. Do not let the residue remain on the plane for more than 4 hours. At about 4 hours the finish begins to soften.

As for thinning the poly, It is quite thin right out of the can. I really do not feel the poly needs any additional thinning.

I do suggest adding 1 1/2 caps of Flotrol per quart of poly AND/OR latex paint PRIOR to any thinning. The Flotrol retards the drying time somewhat and allows the poly/paint more time to "level" itself out.

Reply to
Ted Campanelli