Magnum 52 4 stroke engines

I have several of these. Sraet easy have lots of power but after about a gallon of fuel they idle poorly. They die at idle on landing and I can never taxi back to the pits. Have tried many carb settings adjusting both needles. They seem ok on the ground but then die at idle. Are these carbs a litle weak in the O ring area/ Or what?

Reply to
George and Jo Jennings

1) Poor compression 2) Crank bearings got lose after about 1 gal. of fuel. 3) Needle valve leaks fuel and hard to adjust. 4) exhaust and intake valves leak. for $40.00 more I could have bought an OS 52. Sent engine back to Hobby People, Have not received it back yet?
Reply to
O4U2P

My father has a Magnum .52FS and I have a Magnum .91FS and they both run like champs at all times. His seems to be lacking in compression in his opinion but it runs great so its not a big issue. I have an OS .52 that has a lot of compression and runs about the same so go figure. I would check your adjustments both high and low end mixtures.

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

Maybe change teh glow plug? If it is the same one used for break in it muight be shot.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

I have a magnum 53 4 stroke and never had a minutes trouble with it. Idles perfect and runs great. I run it on 30% heli fuel. Have it on a Dazzler. Eddie Fulmer AMA 63713

Reply to
Efulmer

My Magnum 52 FS runs great. I use OS F plug. I did try a thunderbolt and could not get it to idle. Also, I did notice a power loss after about 1 gallon. Valve adjustment cleared that up. I think I do need to change o-ring on low end needle. It seems to move too easy. I also put a piece of large fuel tube on the high needle but, I do this with most all motors.

Reply to
mpj220

You might want to check the valve clearance. I think it should be

0.004" - 0.010". My Magnum 52 runs and idles great, although it seems to have low compression, at least when compared to OS 4-strokes.

Greg

Reply to
Greg

snip, HI All, One thing I have found with four strokes is not to give it a compression test with the throttle closed. It will have very little because it has not sucked in any air; Only has air that it can get from the crank case. Check it out. Happy flying, Gene

Reply to
wheelsdownNOSPAM

Some folks, including me, have noticed that the high speed needle is a loose fit and if you touch the needle while the engine is running you will notice a large drop in rpm. If you find this is the case replace the O ring with a better fitting O ring, or what I did was add a second O ring to stabilize the needle valve.

Ed

George and Jo Jenn> I have several of these. Sraet easy have lots of power but after about a

Reply to
Ed Smega

This same problem is covered in this months RCM magazine. See the engine clinic column by Clearance Lee.

Reply to
Greg

Have you tried adjusting the valves yet? Also have you tried a new glow plug. After break in, both of those will need attention.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh