Neat old Enya four-stroke

I just spotted this engine on eBay.... item #190035873511 (It's not mine and I have no connection with whoever is selling it; don't know 'em.)
It looks like it has a belt-driven overhead cam? Very interesting! I'm sure it will go for big bucks as it's in NIB condition. I'd sure like to get a look at it or have one like it to play with. :-)
Anyone ever used one of these?
Good flying, desmobob
Robert Scott wrote:

It's not an Enya. It's a Webra T4-60. I had one. Couldn't get it to run worth crap. It made a nice display piece until I sold it to some guy who just had to have it.

Ooops... it showed up in my "Enya" search and I was so captivated by the appearance of the thing, I never even looked at the title!
Good thing I wasn't around when you were selling yours. I might have become the fool who bought it. :-)
So, is it a belt-driven OHC, or some other weird arrangement?
Good flying, desmobob

UGH!
I hated mine and just about gave it away.
Wouldn't develop very much power, was too heavy, and extremely difficult to adjust. Don't think I ever had an engine that would throw the prop as reliably as that one did. Full throttle ..zbang and the prop was going away.
Rotary valve engine... boat anchor for model boats...
Six_O'Clock_High wrote:

Webra didn't do very well with the rotary valve 4 stroke. I have an HP VT .21 4 stroke that has a rotary valve. It runs very well and is easy to adjust. Mecoa still sells them.
Vance wrote:

A few years back I just "had to have" an HP VT 21. It ran great and was easy to adjust. The only problem was that it had about as much power as a 15 and weighed as much as a 29. The plane I put it on acted like it was at 1/4 throttle even though the engine was running wide open. Other than that, it was great.

What's the scoop with those HP engines, anyway? Until now, I've never heard anyone mention using one. The rotary valve four-strokes do look interesting (as does the rear-intake Gold Cup .40).
Overweight and underpowered is perfect for some tail-heavy high-wing models for relaxed flying....
Good flying, desmobob
Robbie and Laura Reynolds wrote:

That's weird. I guy at the flying field has an HP VT .21 in a GeeBee Tigermoth that calls for a .35 2 stroke. Fly's great and doesn't seem to be underpowered.
Vance wrote:

Wow, that is weird. Mine was a slug. But in all fairness it was used when I bought it. Maybe somebody else wore it out already. Also, I believe that it was the European-made model. The newer ones may have had a few modifications.
On the other hand, the Tiger Moth isn't exactly a fast plane.
Robbie and Laura Reynolds wrote:

It might also have to do with the trick he told me about the engine. That after the engine is broke in, take the head off and advance the rotating valve one tooth on the gear. It gives the engine much more power. He's had his since before they started being made in California.
Vance wrote:

I wish I had heard about that trick when I had mine. I wouldn't mind trying one again now that I know more about it.
Robert Scott wrote:

don't you love the spammers that say not os enya satio ETC in the title
Bob,

One of my club members has one. Move the carburettor from the crankcase, attach it directly to the head, get rid off the pipe between the crankcase and the head. Runs much better, lovely sound. No camshafts, it has a rotating valve/disc. HP motors used a similar system.
Vriendelijke groeten ;-) Ron van Sommeren near Nijmegen, the Netherlands 2007 E-fly-in, Aug.26. http://home.hetnet.nl/~ronvans /
"Ron van Sommeren" <ron.van.sommeren_curly_thingy_hetnet.nl> wrote in message

Very interesting, Ron.
I love interesting engines. I guess the most "interesting" four-stroke engine I have is one of the sleeve-valve RCV .91's. Mine is the CD, the less exotic of the two types they manufacture. Lovely sound there, too.
Good flying, desmobob