New SLICK Aerobatic Parkflyer for CD-ROM Power

Check out our new Depron ARF... perfectly sized for the new breed of brushless direct-drive CD-ROM motors. Easier and quicker building than a shock flyer, and takes more "abuse" at only 5 ounces AUW. Outstanding 3D and sport aerobatics.

Model Airplane Engineering

Randall Roman

I hear (you can hear anything) that blue fan fold is a better material in most respects but Depron has a nicer finish? I'd like to hear more about building materials for electrics. Your two bits is requested............. mk

Reply to
MK

Fan Fold is much cheaper, more rigid, heavier, and easier to get. The problem with it is that it's much easier to break because of the rigidity.

The Depron does have a nicer finish. You have to use more spars for support with Depron because it's more flexible. This generally results in a lighter airframe than fanfold that can take a lot more punishment without damage. The airframe will flex and snap back instead of breaking. (up to a point, usually better left unfound...)

PCPhill

BTW Saw two of Randy's Slicks flying yesterday, nice flyers.

Reply to
PCPhill

Thanks, PCPhill... you said it better than I could, and you're spot on. The flat carbon spars in our SLICK do indeed add great strength and rigidity, and they only weigh a couple of grams. We could not achieve anywhere near the 5 ounce flying weight if we had used Fan Fold instead of depron.

What many people don't realize is that the light weight contributes a lot not only to the flight characteristics, but also to the resistance to crash damage.

Randy Model Airplane Engineering

Reply to
Randall Roman