OS-F Glow Plugs

You can if you are carefull. If you aren't, you will fry the glowplug, or it just won't light up. I use several 10W 1Ohm resistors so that the power transistor in my supply does not get as hot. I use a 2n3055 in a to3 package with a big heat sink. The resistors drop the voltate across the transistor by several volts and dissapate a bit of heat - 10W resistors are designed to get quite hot. Otherwise the transistor gets *very* hot. However, the resistors alone are a poor way to regulate it. You would need a bank of them and the means to switch them in and out to adjust for the plug you are using. It's doable, might be a bit of work. If you understand electricity to the point of knowing basic Ohms law math, you can probably easily design it. I designed my own using an lm317 regulator, a 2n3055 general purpose transistor, and a few resistors and a potentiometer for adjusting the output. I can post the design if anyone is interested.

Reply to
Ook

I envy you the skills to make that sucker work! Now lets talk about glow plugs. The only real difference between four stroke plugs and 2 stroke plugs is heat and idle bar. Since the 4 stroke only fires every other round, you do not want the element to collect raw fuel which an idle bar allows. You also want a hotter plug to carry the catalytic reaction from firing cycle over an exhaust cycle to the next firing cycle..

Folks talk about the OS-F plug, but I have always been the cheap guy on the block and use the Fox Miracle plugs almost exclusively. They have no idle bar, they stick into the firing chamber a bit deeper with more 'meat' to hold the heat from cycle to cycle.

YMMV

Jim Branaum AMA 1428

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

I'm too cheap to buy OS F plugs, too. I use K&B 1L plugs in my OS four strokes with very good results.

Reply to
Robert Reynolds