Powering TX from a wall-wart?

Hi All,

I've decided to get back into flying (been away for a couple of years) and was going to start refreshing my skills with my simulator.

Unfortunately, during the time away, my TX battery bit it :(

Until I decide to actually power things up, I thought I'd power the TX from a wall-wart into a converter (to get the right voltage and amperage). The radio is an older model, but suits me just fine, it's a Futabe 9VAP, and it plugs right into my simulator through the training cord port.

All I want to do is open up the back cover, and hook up a power supply to supply the voltage needed to operate the TX for my sim time.

According to the manual (don't have the actual battery in hand at the moment), the TX requires 9.6 volt (8/500mAH) and the current drain is

230mA.

Basically, anyone done something like this before? Building a small power converter to step things down to the right voltage shouldn't be too big a deal, just wanted some opinions...

TIA Steve

Reply to
Steve

It should work. Be careful that you use a regulated supply though. Most wall warts suffer from very poor (if any) regulation and filtering. Also make sure you fuse your supply leads appropriately. Just in case :)

Reply to
Rob Dover

Well, if he's anything like me he already has half a dozen suitable power supplies and the parts to make a regulator in his junk box so the cost would be zero.

Reply to
Rob

Hi,

Definately :) It'd be nice to tell the wife "see I knew I'd need this some day" :)

I'm thinking it may be 3-6 months before I'm actually flying my planes again, so I should be able to put off the $s for a couple of months while I scrape off the rust.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

If you pull the crystal out of the tranny, current consumption will drop substantially, but I'd still get a new battery - unless you have everything to hand to make a 9.6v regulated supply.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher