RC Boing 747 - Air Force One

Hi, My name is Gordon and Live in Southern California. I am looking into building a scaled rc Boing 747 Air Force One. The scale is unknown, but want to build it with the length being 72 inches.

Has any one ever tried this? Can anyone point me the right direction on the BEST materials to build. I plan to have all 4 engines be turbine or air duct. And the outside skin made of aluminum.

Thanks in advance for your options, suggestions, comments.

Gordon Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Reply to
Gordon Gregory

The aluminum part will be your downfall. It would be VEWRY difficult to build one with an aluminum skin and still be light enough to fly. You could build it out of balsa or foam and apply a very thin skin of metallized tape.

A fuselage length of 72" would be way too small for turbine power. One of the smallest turbines would probably fly it.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Hmmm! With a length being a mere six feet, four turbines are going to make it perform like an F-16. Recently some brits did a B-52 that has a 23 foot wing and weighs in at 130 pounds. It carries eight turbines and is quite impressive. Someone else is doing a C-17 with four turbines. Span and length is 17 foot and it weighs 200 pounds. I'd check these two out and consider building on a similar scale.

Sorry, don't have the link to the B-52. But here's the C-17.

C-17

Chuck

Reply to
C.O.Jones