[Ganoksin] [August 2003] Tips From The Jeweler's Bench

The Ganoksin Project S i n c e 1 9 9 6 Jewelry Manufacturing Methods and Techniques

------------------------------------------------------------------------- In This Edition:

  1. Announcing SoCal Orchid Dinner.
    1. Cloisonne Primer - History of cloisonne technique
    .
    1. Contemporary Japanese Jewellery
    .
    1. Vibratory finishing - Spinning Away Waste
    .
    1. All that glitters is gold - The Mass Finishing of Gold Jewelry
    .
    1. Enhancing the stone - An Update on Diamond Treatment
    .
    1. Second skin - Testing Rhodium Plating Technique
    .
    1. Etching with PnP Paper
    .
    1. Carat (Karat) Gold Solders
    .

Make your gemstone shopping easier, safer and cheaper by buying directly from the source at

------------------------------------------------------------------------- Put an Orchid on your Bench

Join the most popular online community for jewelers, The Orchid forums at

In This Edition of Tips From The Jeweler's Bench

  1. Announcing SoCal Orchid Dinner

Hi All,

With the Contemporary Crafts Market (CCM) coming up in Santa Monica Oct. 31 - Nov. 2, we (Beth Rosengard & Brad Smith) think this would be a perfect time to launch Southern California's first Orchid Dinner. We hope you agree! Furthermore, since this area is also the home of the Metal Arts Society of Southern California (MASSC), we figured that bringing together Orchid participants, MASSC members and CCM jewelry exhibitors, in order to allow us to get to know one another and benefit Orchid at the same time, is a great idea.

As the plan stands now, there would be a per person cost for the dinner, payable in advance, with donations to Orchid collected at the door. Other fund-raising methods can be considered IF there are volunteers to oversee them. Any suggestions or raised hands?

We have set Saturday, Nov. 1, as the date, with the place yet to be determined depending on cost, location, and size of the gathering. We have already located one restaurant in Santa Monica not far from the CCM venue, which can accommodate a maximum of 100 people, for about $35 per person including tax and tip. We are checking out other possibilities but we must have an idea of how many of you might be interested before we can finalize anything.

At this point, our concept includes one guest per attendee, though this may have to change depending on the response we get. It would hinge on our ability to find a suitable venue for more than 100 people. Per person costs for private parties in this area are commonly upwards of $50 and we would like to keep it well below that. We know how tight budgets are these days.

What we need from you at this point is an indication, not a commitment (yet). Until we have some idea of how many people are likely to attend, we cannot go much further. So please take a minute and respond to the few questions below. Unless you have comments you want to share with the list, please reply directly to . We're looking forward to this event and to a great turnout. Hope to see you there!

Beth Rosengard & Brad Smith

  1. Cloisonne Primer - History of cloisonne technique

In the late '20's, a small enamel tray, made in China, introduced us to the word cloisonne. The material looked like the granite ware in our kitchen. Obviously the wires were used to keep the colors separated. Then, cloisonne was enamel with wires separating the colors. Simplicity, pure and simple. This is where the majority of the general public leaves the subject, little knowing or caring about its rich history....

Complete Story:

  1. Contemporary Japanese Jewellery

In order to introduce largely unknown contemporary Japanese jewelry to the West, British jeweler Simon Fraser, working with the advice of Toyojiro Hida, then a curator at the Crafts Gallery of the National Museum of Modern Art in Tokyo, organized a traveling exhibition titled 'Contemporary Japanese Jewellery,' which opened in London in 2001....

Complete Story:

  1. Vibratory finishing - Spinning Away Waste

Chemical and mechanical processing work together to treat the vibratory finishing wastewater at Aro-Sac, increasing production, making the water reusable and rendering the sludge a non-hazardous waste...

Complete Story:

  1. All that glitters is gold - The Mass Finishing of Gold Jewelry

Design dictates buyer's choices when gold jewelry is purchased and the quality of the pieces certainly plays an important part as well. Not to be overlooked, However, as gold jewelry is readied to go to market, is that shoppers, regardless of price range, are attracted by the glitter of gold. This article deals with recommendations as to how manufacturers can attain that glitter and ensure that the sparkle of the surface finish of their products catches the buying public's eye and wallet. We are going to focus on Mass Finishing, what it can do for you and the various methods and equipment that are available to save you time and money....

Complete Story:

  1. Enhancing the stone - An Update on Diamond Treatment

A summary of the most common treatment techniques used on diamonds, how they are identified by trained gemologists, and what potential problems they present to manufacturers, retailers, and bench jewelers....

Complete Story:

  1. Second skin - Testing Rhodium Plating Technique

Plenty of information has been published about how rhodium plating solutions should behave under ideal conditions-but little data and real-world information exists for manufacturers and bench jewelers to apply to their own plating operations....

Complete Story:

  1. Etching with PnP Paper

The use of PnP paper-originally designed to create printed circuit boards-to meet the artistic needs of metalsmiths, jewelers, and enamelists. With results similar to photo etching, but without the expense and more complex procedures, the heat transfer method using PnP has revolutionized the world of artistic etching. Now, the procedure is not only used throughout the USA, but also in many other parts of the world...

Complete Story:

  1. Carat (Karat) Gold Solders

In many countries, regulations govern the caratage of gold solders used to make jewellery and, with few exceptions, gold solder alloys should be of the same caratage as the jewellery. One problem with the production of solders is to ensure a good colour match with the jewellery being assembled....

Complete Story:

Join the most popular online community for jewelers, The Orchid forums at

Enjoy Hanuman

Reply to
Ganoksin