Test stand for 35 sized engines?

I've been running my OS Max 35 engines on a test stand that consists of a

2x4 nailed to a heavy wood work bench. They tend to vibrate quite a bit and everything not bolted down to the bench shifts. Any suggestions as to what to use for a good test stand for these engines? This works, but I have to take everything off of the bench when I want to run an engine. These bad boys blow a *lot* of air, and vibrate quite a bit. First time I fired one up, my 11 year old hit the floor it scared her so much :). Forgot to tell her how loud they are....
Reply to
Ook

How about a Dave Brown motor mount screwed to the edge of the table?

Reply to
Robert Reynolds

Reply to
Ed Forsythe

"Ook" < wrote

Get a 12" x 8" x 16" concrete block, and a small bag of ready mix concrete. Get a block of wood, and a couple anchor bolts; the ones that have a L bent on one end, and drill a whole for each one through the block and the block of wood, so the L is in the core of the block, and pour the concrete in and around it, filling the cores. After it is dry, you can mount the engine mount on the block of wood.

It will be heavy enough that it will absorb the vibrations, and not move around, and it is still light enough to move around. I use a setup like this, and it works well.

Reply to
Morgans

Reply to
Peter Baylinson

I have a Black & Decker workmate, a fold up portable work surface. I bolt the motor to a 2X4 and grip the 2X4 in the workmate's vise. This whole arrangement can be set up outside easily and it works fine. Ed

Reply to
Ed Smega

Yes, same prop, a Master Airscrew 10x5. And it vibrates the workbench enough that stuff on top moves around and sometimes right off. Here is a pic of my setup:

I wonder if it vibrates more because it's on the end of that 2x4 nailed to the top of the bench? This works great for .049 engines, btw. Maybe I need to move the 2X4 so it's not sticking out like that? I think I'll remove it, move it so it's square with the corner of the bench, and use a couple of screws instead of nails. And I'll be sure to check the prop and try another one.

Reply to
Ook

Try putting a few cinder block on top of the workbench behind the 2x4. Add a few on the lower level under the 2x4 also. More mass should decrease the vibrations.

Ed Forsythe