Trans-Atlantic Model Project

HI all, I decided to look this up tonight as it was about this time last

year the team attempted to fly a 11 pound with fuel model via GPS over the Atlantic Ocean, If all goes well, a plane will be launched on AUG 6th from NewFoundland Canada at 8:00 PM, Aug 6th being wednesday , I think that makes it about 6:30 EST I know there's a half hour there that looks weird but im sure thats it's Heres the link to page for it ----->

sorry for double spacing of text, I'm a idiot and dont know how to fix it lol)

Best Regards Tony!!!!!

Reply to
Tony Law

Tony:

Thanks for drawing that link to our attention. I followed their attempts last year and was almost as disappointed as the team to see it not reach destination.

A most interesting project.

Regards, Lee Smith

Reply to
Lee Smith

Have a look at Aerosonde. They are basically a model and they have done some pretty amazing duration & distance flights.

-- Andrew Nielsen ;o)>

snipped-for-privacy@big--pond.com Remove "--" to send

Reply to
Andrew NIELSEN

Newfoundland has its own time zone - UTC-3.5 I think is the way it's described. Anyway it is a 1/2 hour step rather than the usual hour.

John Hawkins - From Canada's Atlantic Coast

John Hawkins

How do you get the range out of a model tht small? Where all the fuel?

Reply to
Newbee

It is all spelled out at the web site for this project.

Check it out, you will find it interesting.

Red S.

Reply to
Red Scholefield

It seems it has landed!

Is there any news coverage available except at Slashdot.org?

Reply to
totojepast

Very Carefully, There is a lot of background information at the TAM web page.

Here is just a clipping from it to give some idea of the fuel situation (which I understand was Coleman stove fuel doctored with lubricants).

From July 2002 article:

"Federation Aeronautique Internationale (FAI), a true model airplane weighs less than 11 lbs (5kg) and uses an engine of no more than 10cc displacement. The TAMs weigh 5.5lbs empty and will contain 5.5lbs of fuel at launch. Fuel consumption at 42 mph cruise speed is about 2.2oz/hr if I set the needle valve right. This target is not a sure thing. We're trickling this "whiskey shot" through a tiny, tiny orifice, and I've found it difficult and tedious to get it exact. Air temperature, fuel viscosity, barometric pressure, filters, and still other factors are hazards in the way of precision. If I do it right we have about 40 hours of fuel. If I do it wrong, we could wind up with only 30 hours."

Red S.

Reply to
Red Scholefield

Here's a news article: