Trans Atlantic Attempt

Maynard Hill and his team are here in Newfoundland once again this year for another Trans-Atlantic Attempt. They have made a lot of improvements from last year. You can get info on their web site at

. They are having some difficulty with the site tonight but it should be up again tomorrow. The first attempt is tentatively scheduled for 6:30PM eastern time on Thursday August 7.

Craig

Reply to
Craig Trickett

Thanks Craig , for update, I checked page , and your right it seems to be down this seems to work,

Tony Law

Looks like the info on the link given here is from the 2002 attempt - anyone have better one?

Reply to
Rick Wallace

hopefully real page will be back up soon

Reply to
Tony Law

The guys were working on the page last night when I was down talking to them. They are hoping to get the site running properly today....as you would imagine getting the web site working is not their highest priority. I'll try to keep you up to date on progress if the site doesn't get running properly. As I said the first attempt is for Thursday at 6:30PM eastern time weather permitting.

Craig

Reply to
Craig Trickett

Can someone explain to the newbie here how he carries enough fuel to do this?

Reply to
Mark

Mr. Hill has experimented with duration tuned engines for many decades. He does not use regular model airplane fuel, but some petroleum based fuel, the last time I heard. I'm sure that has changed a dozen times since then.

The engine employs a spark ignition system and is also fitted with a generator. I wonder if they share the same spinning magnet? Probably.

I hope they get into some of the juicy details when covered in the modeling press.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Someone said that he starts with Coleman fuel (white gas? kerosene?) and goes from there.

The 10cc (.61 ci) engine sips a little over two ounces PER HOUR.

The gas tanks are built into the framework of the airplane. Just getting them to hold 2.5 kg (5.5 pounds) of fuel is itself an amazing accomplishment. It's no mean feat to be able to fill a multi-tank system full and make sure that it all drains out the way you want it to.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

One big difference between alcohol based fuel and petrolium based fuel is the fuel to air ratio to maintain peak power. A car at indy many years ago was tested with both, and gas gave 6.66 mpg at 149 mph whereas alcohol gave 2.22 mpg at 151 mph. When dealing with a car the weight difference is small, but when every oz. counts in an aircraft you make your chioce based on weight of fuel. the rest is history. Good going Maynard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! George J.

.
Reply to
JEFGEO123

The plane this year has only one main tank in the fuselage. The tank appears to be made from balsa and then fiberglassed. Last year he had a tank in the wing also. To simplify things he widened the plane somewhat to accommodate the larger tank. I think there may have been a small header tank up close to the carb which was mounted inside the plane. The engine burns Colman camp fuel with a small amount of oil added for lubrication. He also has the OS61FS highly modified to get the good fuel burn. The engine turned around

3900RPM for the flight. There is a modified wooden prop on it...not sure on the size.

From what I understand Maynard will be donating the plane to the AMA museum. If you get a chance to see the plane do it....You will be amazed that it made the flight when you see it....some of the systems appear crude up front but they work flawlessly.

I hope this helps answer some questions. We have a reception for Maynard and the team tonight. I'll pass on everyone's congratulations when I see him.

Craig

Reply to
Craig Trickett

Hmm. Does that mean "naked" balsa tank interior is exposed to that fuel? I wonder whatall is in balsa that will solubilize/ dissolve/ (sorta - as in become miscible) in that environment? /There's/ an organic chemistry puzzle of some complexity. I guess whatever it does wouldn't make much difference as long as it didn't foul in burning. If it contributes a few more C2 units to the burning equation, it would be all the better, and it's not like the tank has to last 5 years or something. The whole balsa part could dissolve for that matter; the fiberglass is all that matters after it's formed.

I don't know anything about model airplanes or endurance flying - is balsa or styrofoam or such encased in fiberglass [or whatever similar] a common practice in these endeavors, or was that some new ingenuity of Maynard's?

Reply to
Mike Easter

I would take the inside of the tank was fiberglassed.

Reply to
Morgans

I have been thinking about the engine that Maynard used. Is this the old open rocker .60 of the early days?

I wonder how much work was performed on the camshaft profil? A reduction of lift, minimizing lift duration, lower tension valve springs and a much smaller carburetor would have helped. Perhaps you could ask for us, if Mr. Hill is willing to share...

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Also how did he keep battery for period of time?

Reply to
Jim-G

I saw somewhere, probably the TAM5 webpage, that he used an onboard generator.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

so where's this 'web site` then?

Reply to
Mike Henderson

The faq and the info on the alternator and little battery for engine off landing is here:

Mike Easter

Ed

The engine is an OS60FS. It is an older one. He had the rocker cover removed to save weight. I believe that he also done modifications to the piston. piston ring and crank shaft. I don't think there are any big secrets on the plane. From what I experienced, Maynard is more than willing to share info on whatever he done. The Carburetor is from a smaller engine, 10 I believe and it was mounted inside the plane.

The plane had a generator mated to the rear of the crankshaft that ran everything while in flight. After the engine was shut down a 9 volt battery took over the job long enough to get the plane down.

There have been talks that he may write a book in the near future. It will be something to read I'm sure.

Craig

Reply to
Craig Trickett

From the photos and the drawing in the FAQ it looks like it has a valve cover. I would think you need this with the very low oil content he must be using.

Reply to
Sport_Pilot

Fiberglass balsa sheets, then put the sheets together with the fiberglass on the inside, leaving one side open, then seal all the interior joints with resin and apply final side with resin to complete the tank. Wouldn't this work?

Red S.

Reply to
Red Scholefield