Trans Atlantic Attempt

2 to 3 years ago, he told me he used the OS 61FS. This is the engine that came just after the open rocker FS60. I believe it has the cam shaft and push rods in the front of the engine.

I have 8 of the open rocker ones. six 60's and two 75's.

Dan Thompson (AMA 32873, EAA 60974, WB4GUK, GROL) remove POST in address for email

Reply to
Dan Thompson

Sounds like it would work but a dam lot of work. Wouldn't it be almost easier and lighter to make a fiberglass tank? Or design around a 3 liter Coke bottle? I've made pressurized tanks out of .003 brass shim stock that would be about the same weight if not lighter. The wood tanks I've tried as a kid (1/16 ply on C/L planes) were not a good idea.

Bill Vail

Reply to
The Vail Family

Moot point...the plane made it...it served it's purpose.

Reply to
Don Hatten

There was definitely no valve cover...I was there for the launch and setup of the plane....as Maynard said...it was too heavy.....I don't argue with the master.

Craig

Reply to
Craig Trickett

Probably a shape issue, as well as strength. I would imagine that there are braces running through it that are structural to the plane. The exterior of portions of the tank may be the exterior of the fuse, for that matter. I get that impression looking at the pictures. He probably just left the top off, glassed the inside, then popped the glassed lid on. Speculation, of course.

Reply to
John Alt

Thanks, Craig. I would imagine that carburetor icing could be a problem at times during such an endeavor. I'll bet he employed insulation on the intake tract from the carb to the engine.

Anyway, I hope Maynard does bring forth a book. He has one customer for sure.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

The carb was mounted in the Fuselage. I don't think there was any insulation from what I saw.

I have a feeling that this may be Maynard's last big event. I believe he and his lovely wife are going to enjoy themselves for a while now. They left St John's today to drive back home. I think the rest of the team may be stuck here for a few days due to the power failure.

Craig

Reply to
Craig Trickett