Winter flying w/G-26

Hi All, I am being stubborn about waiting for Spring, and decided to get some stick time in with my G-26 powered Ryan's Rebel. Up to this point the coldest I had flown this mill was the mid 50's. When I first started flying this as a new engine, I was plagued by a super rich mid range. After mounting a small sheetmetal baffle in front of the diaphram bleed hole, the rich mid range cleared up and I had maybe 20 excellent flights. Failing to resist the urge to wait for Spring, I hauled the beast out to the ramp and fired it up with the temperature in the high 30's. The ground run-up was competely normal, so I launched. about one minute into the flight, I pulled the throttle to idle, which was fine. When I advanced the throttle, the engine died in the mid-range. I richened the main jet, tried again with very similar results. My fuel is 87 Octane regular W/32-1 petroleum oil, and the prop is a MA 18-6 wood. Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated. Regards, Dave

-- Dave Robelen

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Posted from the RCGroups.com Discussion Forums. Visit us at

Dave Robelen

Increase the octane and raise the oil/gas ratio to 50:1. If you use Amsoil, run it 100:1. You might want to try a carburetor stack, too, to prevent the slipstream from siphoning fuel out of the carb throat. Dr.1 Driver "There's a Hun in the sun!"

Reply to
Dr1Driver

carb icing maybe??? by the time you get it back on the ground, engine heat would probably melt any ice.

David

David AMA40795 / KC5UH

You might try going to the next range hotter spark plug. It might be that simple.

MJC

MJC

lean out the Low needle setting!

Reply to
jeboba

I know this is completely opposite from what another post says, but in my opinion, an engine will tend to lean out in the cold weather. Since the cold air is denser, this will cause the engine to run leaner. You will need to increase the fuel to the engine by making the mixture richer. I fly a robinhood with a G23 during the winter months, where the temperature is usually below freezing. I richen up the mixture a little in the winter, then lean it out a tad in the spring.

Greg

Reply to
Greg

I tried your email, but it bounced back.

Tell me about your Ryan's Rebel. I purchased plans for it last fall and am sorta planning on building it this winter. I am planning on making the wing 2 piece with aluminum tube joiner so it will fit in my

76" pickup bed.

David

David AMA40795 / KC5UH