World Models .40 size P=51

I am trying to mount the engine inverted for appearance. The fuel tank installation is too high above the engine carb. I've tried to use several smaller tanks to fit between the firewall and the first former without success. Has any one been successful in this? If possible I can use an OS.70 4 stroke rather than the OS.46AX, but I think the tank would still be too high.

Reply to
zemski

I won`t worry too much about the tank height. If it is high it will help feed the carb and if it is really high it might richen the mixture. But you should be able to compensate for that with the needle adjustments or using smaller fuel line. I think the plane would scream with the 70 but you do have a throttle for it.. if it will fit .. use it.

Reply to
skylane42

"Hog out" (open up) the formers that hold the fuel tank. That way you can lower the tank. 99%+ of ALL models where the engine is inverted REQUIRE that the tank be lowered.

Reply to
Ted Campanelli

"Ted Campanelli" wrote

Yep. You can beef up the former with some hardwood square stock or plywood doublers, or both if necessary, to keep the structural integrity.

My opinion is that you will be nothing but unhappy with the performance of the engine with the tank not at or very close to the proper height. Inverted flight would be impossible if you don't, because the engine would go lean and die. I sure would not want to face deadsticking my pretty P-51 model, if I could avoid it.

Figure out how to accomplish this, or you will probably end up needing to get a Perry carb and pump, to regulate the fuel pressure issues.

Reply to
Morgans