Yup - it was the radio!

Hi guys - thanks for all the responses, again, and yes, the problem did turn out to be the radio that I soldered back together (sheepish )! Hey, it worked for almost a year! I think I must have overlooked a connection that should have been bridged, and worked it's way loose over time - the antenna is supported by the (cracked) circuit board, and as I would move the transmitter around, the antenna became a big lever, flexing the circuit board more and more.

It finally dawned on me that I could just pop the crystal into my good radio to check it. I couldn't pick up the signal with the O-scope. The broken radio worked okay up to six feet away from the planes, and then, moving just a little bit more, sent the servos into wild spasms, on two airplanes. The good radio kept both planes quiet.

So, I'm in the market for another radio. As I said, my son would like to buddy-box with me now, so I'd like to just pick up another Laser 4, but can anyone tell me how buddy-boxing works? Specfically:

In the student-teacher relationship, whose radio is actually doing the transmitting?

Must both radios have the same frequency crystal?

Must both radios even be turned on?

I believe I have a cable that will actually work - it's a nine-pin printer cable that I used on a Commodore-64 (remember those?) in the eighties!

Thanks again, Dan.

Reply to
BykrDan

The teacher's.

No. The teacher's radio must be the correct frequency.

No, only the teacher's radio is on.

Don't know about that, maybe.

IMPORTANT: Test everything on the ground immediately before flying. Test it at home of course, but make sure you test it again right before you fly. Make sure that when you flip the trainer switch the servos don't move the control surfaces to a different position i.e. the trims must be the same. Also make sure that one box doesn't have the servos reversed. Test all control movements carefully on BOTH boxes before taking off. Fixing incorrect trim or reversed servos in flight is not going to end well. You might also want to make sure you are good and high for your first flip to trainer, just in case.

Have fun,

Vince

Reply to
Vince Hendricks

Look at it this way

You ADD the buddy box to the flying setup.

Buddy box is dumb. All it uses is the sticks and trims.

Teacher gets the smart control. When he pushes the switch, the student's sticks and trims jump into his box.

Reply to
Morgans

Thanks guys! I'm gone shopping....

Dan.

Reply to
BykrDan

Yup. Buy the Hitec version as it works with Futaba as well and costs less!

Reply to
Paul McIntosh