engraving onto a solid surface

i have a plate contructed as a 3d solid with various holes cut into it
it also has engraved lines marked on it useing a polyline of correct
width which has been imprinted onto the the plate using the imprint
command
now i want to effectively imprint text the same way (imprint command
does not let you do this )or show text engraved into the plate showing
depth to the engraving
anyboby out their can they point me in the right direction
cheers
Reply to
colin
I am afraid you will have to explode the text & creat each letter into a close polyline & extrude them, then subtract them from the object.
Reply to
Longshot
I have had to do the same thing. I have one problem when I do it though. How would you go about turning them into a polyline? I can't seem to explode them into less than a single line text. I usually have to go back and trace over the text with polylines and then delete the text. Is it possible to explode the text then turn it into polylines without the tracing?
TIA J
I am afraid you will have to explode the text & creat each letter into a close polyline & extrude them, then subtract them from the object.
Reply to
John W. Higgins
I usually will use a block type font & if you just erase all the inner lines after exploding the rest can be p-edit ed together.
I have done this with several types of text for our CNC laser to cut out letters... some text styles will explode into several lines , others will explode into several faces. putting the next on a certain layer & locking it (without exploding it) & using a polyline to trace over it , is probably the fastest way & results are decent... HIH Rob
Reply to
Longshot
The Express tools have an 'Explode text" that will do it; but if you don't have the ETs, then you have you export/import to get it done.
Export a metafile (WMF), then import the file you just exported. Explode the new block, delete the frame, and you'll have polylines.
Reply to
Jim Patrick
sorry for the delay
company pc down for two days
looks like i am going to do it the long way
but if i find a faster method i will post it
thanks colin
Reply to
colin