Newbie recording macros in AutoCAD

I have an acquaintance (via email and discussion group) who has the job of translating about 500 AutoCAD drawings from English to another
language (I think German). He is an experienced computer user, but not with AutoCAD, so the customer sent him a computer with AutoCAD loaded on it. I don't know what version, but it's probably 2000 or later (I asked him, but he hasn't answered yet.)
A lot of the text is repetitive, so he's looking into macros to partially automate the text.
His client will not allow the drawings to be sent to another provider, nor install any other software on their computer.
Can somebody point to some guidelines on AutoCAD Programming for Dummies? He basically only needs a way to execute about a few dozen commands like this one.
replace this text: XXX with this text: YYY.
Thanks.
--
Steve M - snipped-for-privacy@houston.rrwax.com
remove wax for reply

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.com
in the edit menu there is the find and replace command, use that if its as repetative as you say.

He is using Find and Replace right now. But there are about 500 drawings. A lot of the replacements are the same in each drawing. There's got to be a better way.
Steven

He could write a routine to filter the various types of text, step through their contents searching for the XXX and replace it with YYY. It'll take a while if he's new to it, and may not be worth it on a cost basis alone. However he would then be able to take advantage of other productivity enhancements because he would know how to write LISPs, and demand more pay. If he's not up to have him pass it off to a "junior". If he's the "junior"....tell him that surviving boredom is a prerequisite for his career.
I suppose he could pay someone to write the routine for him. I always forget that there are people out there who do that.
--

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.com