pick point or enter from keyboard

I feel silly. I want my lisp routine to give me the choice between picking a point with the mouse or entering from the keyboard.
if I digitize, I just want one component - in this case the Y, or the elevation in my small little mind.
so if I enter it might be "72" that I would type, top of windows usuallly being 6'-10" above finished floor. (one application)
this should be real easy, brain flatulance.
I'm tired of copying my roof pitches, I want to pick a wall on my elevations for the X, give it the Y, overhang and pitch, and let the routine draw the rest.
thanks.
Wanna post the code?
--

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.ca
Michael Bulatovich wrote:

sounds like fun, need a little time to pick the one I want to work on first. thanks.
HiHo; Without seeing your code you might review these, GETPOINT COND SSGET Hope this helps.......

roy wrote:

presently I gather my data like this:
;;; INPUT DATA (initget 1 "C D A T") (setq    typ (strcase (getkword "\n Casement Doublehung Awning? ")) ) (cond    ((= typ "C")      (initget 1 "R L N")      (setq hinge (strcase (getkword "\n Hinge? Right/Left/None: ")))     ) ) (initget 1 "Y N") (setq    mul (strcase (getkword "\n Mulls? Y/N: ")) ) (cond    ((= mul "Y")      (setq vert (getint "\n Number of Vertical Mulls? ")      horiz (getint "\n Number of Horizontal Mulls? ")      )     ) ) (setq    oc 1     pt (getpoint "\nSet Point for Window ")     w (getint "\nWindow Width in inches : ")     ht (getint "\nWindow Height in inches : ")     tr_wid (getreal "\n Enter Trim Width: ") ;;;    st_ht (getint "\nWindow Set Height in inches :"     txt (strcase (getstring "\n Window Desginator ")) ) (initget 1 "U L B N") (setq soldier (strcase (getkword "\n Brick soldier? Upper/Lower/Both/None: ")) )
;;; END DATA INPUT
[the setq oc is an acronym for open/closed when a subroutine draws a polyline open or closed]
then it is the setq pt I want a choice for. right now I digitize a point, and it requires construction lines. I had it doing
(setq pt (cdr (getpoint "\nSet Point for Window ")))
and would later
(setq pt (cons pt st_ht))
which would let me digitize the x coordinate from where I would have begun an extention line and enter the y coordinate from the keyboard.
it was not as handy as I had envisioned and I want to try something else.
so, I am wanting to try a code snippet that would more or less generically let me choose between digitizing or entering data from the keyboard. I think I can remember seeing it done, but it escapes me still. I have several routines I think I might improve if I can get a better handle on this.
hope this was not too long to read.
thanks.

Take a number ; ) ...

The getpoint call will allow a keyboard entry of point coordinates, but what you want is to maybe get the X value of a point one way and the Y another. Why not create a set of prompts, gather the data, then put it together to make the point? Prompt might look like this:
Set Point for Window: X of.../Y of.../<pick/enter point>
--

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.ca

I think I follow. your approach makes better sense. why am I not surprised?
hope I get the time to play with it soon.