square footage (area) calculation

I am in the business of selling a roof coating for flat commercial roofs.
The roofs are of a variety of sizes and shapes. I was wondering if there is
a simple CAD program like SmartDraw that will allow me to draw the roof
perimeter and dimension it and then have the software determine the linear
footage of the perimeter and the total square footage of thr roof area.
Any guidance or assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Please reply to snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net
thank you,
Rudy
Reply to
rudyeb
Yes. How does free sound to you? Go here:
the shape and you can get perimeter and area from it. It comes with a manual and there is a user forum that is about the most active I have seen.
Reply to
CW
Use Autocad in built tools:
Draw roof outline accurately to scale using a polyline (make sure the line is closed). List the line and press F2 to see the line length and enclosed area.
HTH
Phil
Reply to
TheScullster
Works quite well but there is that little thing about a $3400.00 price difference between the previous suggestion and this one.
Reply to
CW
Problem: If you are looking at the roof in plan view, you are not looking at true representation of the roof surface. The area you are calculating in 2D is the 'BASE' of a right triangle (for one side of a peaked roof). To calculate the true are, you would have to measure the length of the slope from your elevation view and multiply by the length of your peak (times 2 for both sides of the roof).
CW wrote:
Reply to
" "
True, but the original poster says his roofs are flat.
Reply to
KWoz
Considering he said he was doing flat roofs, I don't think this is a problem.
Reply to
CW
...well so much for my paying attention to the original posting.
CW wrote:
Reply to
" "
Happens. No big deal.