Unwanted underlined Multiline text in LT

I just upgraded to a new computer running Windows XP Home edition and upon loading my AutoCAD LT 2000, several times, I can't get multiline text to
underline only the words that I want underlined (I'm using AutoCAD LT98 with an LT2000 upgrade). The darn thing always underlines everything after I click OK. It will be fine in the text window when editing, but as soon as I click OK, everything is underlined. This even happens to existing multiline text that came from other files from other computers. As soon as I go to edit text that has a portion underlined, BAM. The hole darn thing is underlined.
Has anyone got any ideas how to fix this problem?

with an

click OK.

OK,
that
that
If you want to underline a word, try putting %%u before the word and then %%u after the word. The first %%u starts the underline and the second stops it. This is a dumb way of doing it, but it works.
Relz
Thanks. I know how to perform underlining in single line text (Dtext). The %%U does not help the problem I am having in multiline text as I describe. Once there is an underline command in the multiline text, the whole thing ends up underlined. You cannot use %%U in your multiline text as it appears as %%U!! Anyone else with a solution?
Same problem with XP Pro. I've tried the %%u before and after with no success. Searched the Autodesk site and their standard reply to Mtext editor problems is "use true type fonts". Wouldn't it be great if I could tell my boss that Autodesk says I can't use the only font the he will accept!!