annealing temp chart for various items?

I'm looking for a chart with the temps for annealing various products. I've seen them and had one till I changed jobs recently and lost a lot of paper work. Its probably packed in storage Right now I specifically want to know the temp(color) for tempering a chipping hammer. But I wanted the chart for reference.

Reply to
Dr Butter

See:

John

Dr Butter wrote:

Reply to
John O. Kopf

For what it's worth.....the annealing chart is excellent except for one point I must disagree with. Under iron the descriptiojn says .25 or less "Mild steel" cannot be fire hardened. I beg to differ. I use mild steel for most decorative forgings and believe me it can harden. My first job as a professional smithwas back in 1995. I was told to make 260 leaves for a railing. I proudly spent the first day quenching each leaf after cutting half way through with a hardie. You see they break off better whan cold. Well, that evening my supervisor told me to cold bend the "stems" to fit into the railing. Yup, I had hardened every freakin one of those leaves (about 40 for the days work...I have gotten faster:) ). I then had to anneal every one. They would break rather than move. I hope this reduces potential frustration in your lives.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew Molinaro