Blacksmith info at US patent office

Hello All.
I have been using the US Patent office database as a very interesting blacksmith resource and thought I would share this for those who have not.
There is a wealth of very detailed information on all aspects of forging and forging machinery.
Here are a couple of patents I have found.
The "Oliver" treadle hammer, I have seen a similar hammer on the web somewhere. patent number x8167, x8344
The famous "Mayer Bros Little Giant": patent number 122046
A helve type hammer wich looks like a Bradley or a Blacker: patent number 368384
I found my nibbling machine: Patent number 2182544. This has been infinately usefull to help me fabricate some of the missing parts.
There is an amazing number of trip hammers, steam hammers, drop hammers, forging dies, forging techniques, and forging presses.
I hope very one enjoys browsing this site as much as I do.
brad
In our last episode brad wrote:
<snip>

</snip>
and the URL is????
--
Instead of building bigger and better weapons of mass destruction,
we should be trying to get better use out of the ones we've already got

http://www.uspto.gov /
All U. S. patents are now electronically available for free, 1790 to present (except for many of the early ones lost in the Patent Office fire of 1837(?). You need to download the free Alternatiff reader, and go from there. Easy if you have a number, and other search methods are available.
Most patented devices do not have a number stamped/cast on them btw, usually only a date or dates. But with a little effort, even a date can get you the patent (the newer the harder).
Frank Morrison

many thanks!!