Help IDing old post vise

I have been looking for a post vise for a while and bought this one yesterday 2 miles from my house. I got it for $100 and a
chain vise was included in the deal.
Here are some pics:
http://www.drizzle.com/~dantzler/images/shop/postvise1.JPG
http://www.drizzle.com/~dantzler/images/shop/postvise2.JPG
http://www.drizzle.com/~dantzler/images/shop/postvise3.JPG
It has 5" jaws and probably weighs 60 lb.
Can any one help me figure out how old it is. The marks (2nd pic) are farily cryptic to me although I understand that many weren't marked. It looks forged and not cast.
Now I need to figure out how to take it apart and get it cleaned and lubed.
Thanks.
Jeff Dantzler
Nice score, Jeff.
Can't help with the ID, but you could ask Bill Apple, our local blacksmithing hardware vendor. Email me offline and I'll send you his contact info, I don't want to post it "in the clear" in this public of a forum.
As for cleaning/lubricating, the only issue would be the screw and I bet you can get at most of that without taking it apart. I'd just use kerosene or paint thinner and a brush followed up with compressed air. Lots of these old guys are riveted together so disassembly isn't trivial, but yours may be different.
GWE
Jeff Dantzler wrote:

Are they, the post vices, standing on a plate on the ground ? That was my impression. If you don't have one, you can make one I suppose.
I think it was to spread the pounding force over a wide surface. Is it true ? Martin
Grant Erwin wrote:

--
Martin Eastburn
Jeff Dantzler wrote:

No idea but it's identical to the one I bought a couple of years ago (for equivalent of about $6 :.)) )
I shall be following this thread with interest.
--
BigEgg

bigegg wrote:

I'll remember that if you ever try to sell it here :-)
GWE
What's the market like for these? I have one that's different but similar. I was told they are used for forge work.

Tom Gardner wrote:

These are pretty stock items in blacksmithing circles. Price varies with jaw width, weight, condition, completeness, and location. A 5" 60 pounder like Jeff got is a decent deal in the Western Washington area, where there seem to be lots of buyers and not too many sellers. A 6" 150 pounder can easily bring $200, and a 4" 25 pounder goes for $40-75. Ish.
Look at ebay if you want to check the marketplace. You *do* have an ebay account, don't you?
GWE

Post vises changed little between the 1840's and 1940's.
On Thu, 12 May 2005 18:21:13 GMT, Ernie Leimkuhler
I'm guessing the introduction of the steam hammer would have had some influence, and certainly the shift from iron to steel.