How to quench a digging bar

Hey, Alvin. 'Hangin' good. The bluefish are running around 12-15 pounds and the weather is beautiful -- what more could I ask for? d8-)
How about you?
--
Ed Huntress

I've got a large cooking pot someone gave me. Not 5 gallon, but maybe 3 gallon or so? It should be larger, especially when heat treating something as large as that bar. Don't use plastic. If it catches on fire and melts, then you have a large pool of burning oil all over the place to deal with.
Pete's post goes into more detail on the issues.
--
Curt Welch http://CurtWelch.Com /
Ignoramus wrote:

That's the root cutting end! :)
I like to sharpen 'em up on that end like a fine thin hatchet. YMMV on that.
The other end is supposed to be "pointy" for dirt and rock. :)
I used up a bunch of those things digging ditches etc on the railroad, that's why I know technical terms about them like "pointy". Ok? I'm not trying to talk down to you using such technical terms, it's just from my high level of expertice and years of their use is all. ;) LOL :)

Someone cut it off? <shrug>
A tamping bar either has a round butt-plate on the end like a giant nail or has a heavy retangular shape. The rectangular ones were for pole line work seems like, anyway that's what we used them for, to tamp the dirt down around a new pole we'd installed.

Yeah, pinch-bar or as the Messcans would call 'em "peen-chay bar".
I'm wondering if it needs heat treating? Just hammer it into the shape you want. ;)

Cool. :)

That one I sure as heck don't know, sorry. :/
Alvin in AZ (retired railroad signalape)