Magnetic field effect on grain growth/size?

snipped-for-privacy@XX.com wrote:

Hi Guys,
Just a couple of thoughts.
If the effects of magnetism were a deciding factor in grain size, growth or alignment, then historically you would find people working in places where the Earth's magnetism was at it's strongest, and not where the good metal was or places that had spiritual meaning.
The term Swedish steel has a very good reputation throughout Europe, that was based on historical Swedish iron mines. The iron mined from these mines had elements similar to modern steel alloys, and brought those properties to the weapons of those days.
So the effect of magnetism on a blade falls into the realms of a belief ;-)
Regards Charles P.S. Otherwise Ozzie blades would be in demand due to the amount of magnetism in this country... probably explains why I have a second head :-D
John Fly wrote:

I'd bet it has about as much of an effect on blade hardness as sun spots do. Usually there is so much heavy iron around a blacksmith, what with the anvils and all, that I'd think a regular compass would have trouble finding magnetic north. It's like trying to use one in a car.
Even still, I've been wrong before--has anyone asked a professional heat-treater? I'd think if there were any effect, then people who heat-treat thousands of items would have some ritual about how they align their machines or use a lower temperature during "magnetic storms" or some such.
Has anyone here ever experimented to see if there is an effect? I'd think it would be easy to get two similar pieces of metal and stick a magnet to one (with a little insulation so you don't de-mag your magnet), quench, and test them both to see if there is a difference.