O-1 hardness and sharpening

Hey,
I recently made a blade for a spokeshave out of O-1 steel. I hardened it and tempered to strawyellow (about 450 degrees) in a conventional
oven. This blade is extremely tough to sharpen because it is so hard. It takes a lot of work just to raise a burr. Should I re-temper to some other color?
Also, this is the second time I have hardened and temperd the blade. On the first attempt, I left the oven on 450 degrees for about two hours and upon taking the blade out, it was unevenly colored brownish yellow, with some spots being blue. I rehardened and tempered again using a thermocouple so I could monitor the temperature of the oven (I think my oven is miscalibrated).
-Jonathan
Jonathan Ward wrote:

Diamond impregnated hone. Hard? Not for this 'rock'. Think O-1 is hard? Try 52100 bearing steel. It laughs at aluminum oxide. Get an edge up and you can whittle a file like balsa wood.
Charly
Look on the bright side, difficulty in sharpening usually indicates good edge retention - once you *do* get a good edge, it should last a long time!
On 30 Nov 2003 19:44:52 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@attbi.com (Lee Cordochorea) wrote:

Except for titanium !