Okay, it's time to say something in "blacksmthing " again--- 2 Things

This ng sure has been quiet lately.

I have an interest in some old Onan generators and so have signed up for a forum called "smokstak.com". There are many metal-related forums in it, the Onan part being only one of the many.

There is a blacksmithing and metalurgy sub forum and here it is:

Joining copper parts: THE BIG THING: This material makes joints that are almost the same color as the copper!!! I recently bought a Harris rod to use in joining copper parts. It is called "Phosphorus Copper with NO silver". The guy who told us about it called it a "welding rod" but indeed it for brazing, since you don't actually melt the parent (copper) metal. It comes in a few different shapes, but the one I bought has a rectangular cross section; 0.050" X

1/8". If you start with clean copper, you don't need any flux. Once you get a puddle going, you can easily use the heat source to suck the material along the joint.

A tube about 18" long with about 20 rods cost me about $22.

A nice soft oxy acetylene flame would probably be best, but I made a couple of samples using a hardware store Mapp gas torch and it worked quite well. I had to learn to NOT overheat the parts, ie: keep things down to a low red heat for best results.

Pete Stanaitis

------------------------------

Reply to
spaco

I suppose the real men just pound steel. Tired of politics.

Mart> This ng sure has been quiet lately.

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Reply to
Chilla

Hi Pete,

Surprisingly there are a lot of products for welding and brazing out there.

A while back I was looking at buying bronze welding rods, not brazing, and the nice thing about these particular item was that they are for arc welders.

The not so nice thing about them, is for 20 sticks you're looking at about $200 retail (if you're clever you can get them for almost 1/2 price).

Regards Charles

Reply to
Chilla

Another one... real men melt steel ;-) CIA

Reply to
Chilla