Tempering help for beginner (long)

I can't locate any decent priced fullers, so I plan to use some extra large ball pein hammers and make the pein into the fuller part, or punch ( I have
the handled cutoffs already)...also, may fabricate my own from scratch using hot rolled steel rounds & plate and a rod handle. . . . Hardy Cutoffs. . .I also have two OCS 3"x3"x3/8" (one has knife edge in center, other on the edge) that after tempering, I will arc weld onto 1/2 sq 4"x4" 'Hardy plates. I plan to bring the cutting edges to straw, (after heating the entire OCS square to non-magnetic and quenching). Then by putting a slightly yellow heat 2"x2"x8" sq bar on the side (away from the cutting edge) until the heat moves up to make the cutting edge straw, then quenching in oil...seen this on that Colonial Woodworker show making a carpenters lathe gouge. . . . Thus far my only plan is to heat the hammer head to non-magnetic, and then immerse into ice cold oil. I know this can't be that easy, thus my plea for help. In advance . . .thanks chas.
ps. Found some great B/S (not-Bull) video on my Samsung Galaxy 10.1 tablet (Android OS) but I don't know how to locate the file where the URL resides (when I save them), so thus far they are not available on my desktop. Some very talented dukes there...and some great work...never seen making tongs so easy looking.
Buy this book and read it like you mean business... ;) www.amazon.com "Metallurgy Theory and Pratice" by Dell K. Allen ...I'll guarantee the book. :) (if you don't like it I'll buy it from you)
The trick is to only read and understand what's presented as "blachsmithing techniques" -after- you've learned the metallurgy behind that simplified stuff. Looking at that stuff from this side of the fence looks like BS (BS = bullshit this time;). It's not so much all-the-way-wrong really, it's just that it's missing so much information many times, it looks like it'd waste your time and ruin your materials.

I read where warm oil actually quenches faster than cold oil. YMMV Heck, there may be a graph to that effect in Allen's book. LOL :)
Alvin in AZ
(alvin with zero six seven @gmail.com)

Do a search for:
Metallurgy of Steel for Bladesmiths & Others who Heat Treat and Forge Steel by John D. Verhoeven - the version I have from 2005 was direct from his site at Iowa State and includes this text:

I think that version is still in the wild, and so long as it's "non commercial" I don't think it can be considered unethical to get it, per that text, but I was saddened to find that I could no longer find it "direct" the last time I tried to refer someone to it. I think it's gotten a title change and been printed and sold...
There are some good papers available there, though: (scroll down to the bottom - knife-sharpening experiments, etc.)
http://www-archive.mse.iastate.edu/who-we-are/people/emeritus-professors / john-verhoeven.html