Trying to figure out appropriate forge size for burner- any help appreciated!

So Alvin,

Do you ship those fancy bricks?

Steve

snipped-for-privacy@XX.com wrote:

Reply to
Steve Smith

Yep. The object isn't to make heat: That's easy. It's to keep the heat where you can use it.

There are variations of propane forges and kilns all over the net, from bean can or one brick size, using ordinary propane torches to monster furnaces that can melt pounds of bronze, using burners maybe more suited to industrial tasks. :)

I built my two-burner tube forge from plans on Dave Wilson's site.

I built the Plan 2 forge.

It's served me well for somewhere around ten years with only minor repairs like relining now and then. I've welded no few pattern welded billets in it. When I quite making long things, I turned off one burner and blocked one half of the forge with some Kaowool blanket. Still works fine.

If I decide to play a bit, I'll see about building a lighter version or maybe a toaster forge this Winter.

Reply to
John Husvar

The one inch thick firebricks from the farm stores work okay for this duty. They are cheap and easily replaceable. Some people lay them on top of the kaowool at the bottom. That's where I put the joint anyway. Some people put the firebrick on the bottom of the forge first and then run the kaowool up to it. If you make the "pipe" forge that's on my website, the pipe is 18 inches long, so two of those 9 inch long firebricks fit without trimming.

Pete Stanaitis

-----------------------------

snipped-for-privacy@XX.com wrote:

Reply to
spaco

I'm trying something different on the forge I'm making this winter. I cut my tube into a half cylinder and I'm going to lay it on a flat floor of brick. I'm thinking (hoping) that coating the Durablanket with Satanite will make it rigid enough to stay up. The edges will have a small piece of angle to hold the Durablanket.

Steve

spaco wrote:

Reply to
Steve Smith

Never thought about it. :) I guess I should call for their specs and prices and post it. :)

Alvin in AZ

Reply to
alvinj

Some guys gets all of the breaks!

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot"s Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member.

snipped-for-privacy@XX.com wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Alvin,

Remember, the Post Office has the 'flat rate Priority' boxes -- all you can stuff, up to 70 pounds, for $8 or $9 shipping. Two sizes of boxes.

Brad K.

snipped-for-privacy@XX.com wrote:

Reply to
BradK

God I wish we had those in Australia! Everything goes by weight through national post and, by weight & dimensions though international :-(

Regards Charles

BradK wrote:

Reply to
Chilla

The prices are...

"K23" (2300F) $3.85 and are the light weight and light colored ones shown.

Standard "heavy" firebricks (also seen there as the dark yellow ones) are $1.46 each.

"K26" (2600F) $5.00 and are quite abit heavier than the light weight ones and are the only other firebricks they carry anymore they've dropped -at least- two others since I bought mine. At that time the K23's were $2.45 and the stardards were 75c (seems like).

I sure as heck don't know which type a guy needs for forging! :/ You guys tell me so we'll both know. ;)

2300F too low a temp for forging?

Meant to go by there yesterday and stood in Lowes parking lot thinking "what else was it I was wanting to do? :/"

Going by there I could have learned more about 'em like weights and other sources etc.

Anyway... how's those prices? :/

Alvin in AZ ps- my girlfriend is behind holding up the cardboard to hide all the other really "good" stuff I got, no she ain't naked, if she was naked I wouldn't have been bothering with pictures of my stupid pile of bricks!

Reply to
alvinj

Reply to
Chilla

Well...that sounds like new prices to me for standard firebrick. I'm reasonably sure 2300F would be a mistake. I don't know about the

2600F bricks; I've always used 3000F bricks.

Thanks for checking, but I think I'll pass.

steve

snipped-for-privacy@XX.com wrote:

Reply to
Steve Smith

I'm completely devastated. :/

Trevor and Steve are soooo stinkin mean! ;)

Alvin in Dispair

Reply to
alvinj