4-5 axis grinding equipment recommendations

Have a customer that is considering 4-5 axis grinding machine. Currently they are contracting this work out, and are considering bringing the
work in-house. Considering the in-house skill-set, maybe that is not such a great plan, as I understand these machines are not simple to program and setup. Currently they are near net investment casting, and then 5x grinding. Material is Cobalt-Chrome.
Question 2. What kind of tolerance/finishes are 5axis grinders capable of?
Question 3. Do the specialized 5 axis EDM/Grinders compare in price/speed to standard 5X grinders?
ca
clay wrote:

I'd be interested as well. We machine impellers and blades that require 16 finish that must be benched after MANY passes with the endmills. I'll take a poke at Westec but I'm certain there won't be anything there.
Cobalt-Chrome eh? Sounds very familiar to something we have in the works as well... (small world perhaps).
-- Bill

Have you ever looked at Liechti?
<http://www.liechti.com/index_en.htm
Better yet contact these guys -
<http://www.robertemorris.com/pages/content/turbine_group.html
They can help with any phase of production - milling, grinding, robotic polishing, etc..
--

Dan

CNC Videos - <http://tinyurl.com/yzdt6d
clay wrote:

Clay, I would agree with the "not such a great plan".
4-5 axis and cobalt chrome don't sound like something for beginners.
If they were my customer I'd be encouraging them to keep contracting the job out, and I would also not get too involved so when fingers are pointed they can't point at you.
Best, Steve
--

Regards,
Steve Saling