4-5 axis grinding equipment recommendations

Have a customer that is considering 4-5 axis grinding machine. Currently they are contracting this work out, and are considering bringing the work in-house. Considering the in-house skill-set, maybe that is not such a great plan, as I understand these machines are not simple to program and setup. Currently they are near net investment casting, and then 5x grinding. Material is Cobalt-Chrome.

Question 2. What kind of tolerance/finishes are 5axis grinders capable of?

Question 3. Do the specialized 5 axis EDM/Grinders compare in price/speed to standard 5X grinders?

ca

Reply to
clay

I'd be interested as well. We machine impellers and blades that require

16 finish that must be benched after MANY passes with the endmills. I'll take a poke at Westec but I'm certain there won't be anything there.

Cobalt-Chrome eh? Sounds very familiar to something we have in the works as well... (small world perhaps).

-- Bill

Reply to
kinzie

Clay, I would agree with the "not such a great plan".

4-5 axis and cobalt chrome don't sound like something for beginners.

If they were my customer I'd be encouraging them to keep contracting the job out, and I would also not get too involved so when fingers are pointed they can't point at you.

Best, Steve

Reply to
Garlicdude

kinzie wrote in news:47eb1a04$0$1103$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

Have you ever looked at Liechti?

Better yet contact these guys -

They can help with any phase of production - milling, grinding, robotic polishing, etc..

Reply to
D Murphy