Accuracy vs. Precision

GMT, DoN. Nichols, snipped-for-privacy@d-and-d.com wrote:

Since the A in ASCII means American, and the Usenet "audience" is wider than that, maybe it's time to upgrade to UTF?
--
☯☯

Actually some of the Usenet uses fonts that are not ASCII. You are simply not members.
From time to time, I get middle east fonts from several cultures to those of Chinese and Japanese. And we also speak Canadian English using general code. But the double byte fonts of some nations make it interesting.
Martin
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com /
Steve Ackman wrote:

    This would still be a problem for anyone using plain terminals for usenet (and yes, I know a few). They don't even have proportional spaced characters available, let alone alternate charactersets.
    I even still have a couple of good terminals on hand, though they tend to be used for diagnostics more than anything else these days.
    Enjoy,         DoN.

    [ ... ]

    Feel free to use it if it works for you. I can hardly claim ownership of the idea. IIFC, I was first exposed to the idea when I was in the 8th grade (the junior high had sort of folded over to the building that the high school was in, while the elementary school had grown a new building.) I do remember the room I was in when I first heard it, which is why I can tell you what grade I was in at the time. :-)

    I've seen scientific publications which put the '.' at mid height instead of along the bottom line as we do it -- which made it a little easier to interpret it as different.

    :-)
    As long as there are enough grouping separators, or a number of digits at the end other than two or three, I can usually handle it without having to annotate the document. After all -- a typical mis-reading suddenly shifts the workpiece to something which would not fit on my machines. :-)

    Aha -- knowing what search string to use makes a difference. :-)

    Hmm ... so we can blame it on the French? :-)

    I'm sorry to hear that.
    What is done in scientific circles?

    Yes -- I suspect that not many take my viewpoint that the "long scale" is more logical and thus would accept it even though it is not common in my country. :-)
    [ ... ]

    They have -- differently in different countries, because there are so many different "powers that be". :-)
    Thanks,         DoN.
GMT, DoN. Nichols, snipped-for-privacy@d-and-d.com wrote:

How well does SunOS do UTF-8? These days you can do it with a subscript 0: D₀N. or D₀N₀
--
☯☯

    Well ... it is Solaris these days. SunOs (4.1.4 was the last) was a BSD based system, and Solaris (starting with Solaris 2.0) was a SysV based system. Solaris 1.* was used as an alternate title for the last few versions of SunOs merged with the X11.
    I use iso-8859-15 as my systemwide character encoding, but avoid using anything with the parity bit set (extended ASCII) since it does not come out the same on all systems. FWIW -- both of your examples there came out with a '?' between the 'D' and the 'N', so they must be codes falling in the control codes zone of the lower 7-bit ASCII -- except that the parity bit is set instead of clear. This system (at least with my selected character encodeing) refuses to print any of those 32 characters even when it prints the rest of the extended set nicely.
    Maybe if I switched over to Gnome instead of CDE it would show up -- but I still could not trust everyone else to see it clearly.
    If I want to make it look as I want, I do it in troff and print to PostScript or PDF where full control of character size is available. :-)
    Thanks,         DoN.
Some of us remember Trascii or truncated Ascii - 6 bit not 7 or 8 or 16.
Martin
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com /
DoN. Nichols wrote:

    Yep -- upper-case only, such as was found in the Teletype ASR-33. It resulted in some strange things in the tty driver in early unix boxen. Things like if you logged in in all upper case, it would assume that you were on a an ASR-33 and convert all lower case to upper case, and convert all input to lower case (since the commands were normally in lower case, and it was a case-sensitive system). If you actually *wanted* a sequence of upper-case characters, IIRC, you hit a '^' first, then typed the characters which you wanted to be upper case, and then hit the '^' again. There was another character which I have forgotten which caused the single character following it to be kept as upper case.
    I also remember that for a while my ADM-3a terminal was upper-case only -- until I added some RAM chips and an extra character generator ROM. It was also only 12 lines until I added more RAM. :-)
    IRRC, it took six RAM chips (an extra bank) to convert it to 24-lines, and an extra RAM chip in each bank to convert it to mixed case.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

I scrapped a bunch of those Lear Siegler ADM-3A terminals for the nice power transformers.
--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

I gave mine to a friend who was using one in a archive and recondition work - Gave him not only the detailed specs but also the Ball manual - it was the tube and high voltage / yoke section - OEM from Ball.
I also upgraded the memory and got the lower case ROM. Mine was a 3A, I worked with a company using 3A's and 3's in a production mode. I used mine to provide a hot spare from time to time. Soroc terminals were popular and then the large expensive and beautiful - Fox and Owl 9x12 units that had Upper and Lower Ascii in two fonts and descending letters (like g that goes below the line. The 70's were interesting
My ASR-33KSR went to a friend who was completing his 'home brew' PDP/LSI-11 that was done on a private chip set and needed a command console.(3 years ago) Mine was still mounted to the shipping pallet and included a box of paper tape and another box of paper.
Martin
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com /
Michael A. Terrell wrote:

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote:

I have a couple dozen green TTL monitors, Ball, Clinton, Motorola, Zenith. I have mostly 12" , but a couple 9". I don't know if i have any of the old 4" NCR version from their ATMs left, but I had a couple dozen.

I have a bunch (About 18) of National Semiconductor memory cards left. I think they were for the VAX.
--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

    Yes -- I had the full manual with schematics, because I got mine as a kit. It also included the schematics and specs for the monitor subassembly from Ball.
    The kit brought it into just barely affordable for me as an individual at the time -- and not too much later they were selling assembled for less than that. :-)

    Indeed so.

    A virgin Teletype. I don't think that the "KSR" belongs in that device name, however. That stands for "Keyboard Send Receive" (no paper tape punch and reader), while the ASR which you had at the start was "Automatic Send Receive", which was implemented by the paper tape punch and reader.
    For a while I had a "portable" KSR-33 -- with a companion modem -- each in moulded carrying cases. I had to do some tricks to make it work as a printer on my Altair 680b computer -- interrupt the receive loop from modem to printer with a reed relay controlled by the RS-232 output from the computer.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
03:27:55 GMT, DoN. Nichols, snipped-for-privacy@d-and-d.com wrote:

I was just going by the OS your newsreader reports. I'm sure you could change the User-Agent string if you wanted, though there is already a patch out these days that allows "set custom_os" in .slrnrc. The string after slrn-0.9.9 can be whatever you want.

I use iso-8859-1 on the FreeBSD 7.0 box and UTF-8 on the Debian Testing box, which is the "desktop" machine.

On my FreeBSD slrn as well.

The subscript 0 isn't in any of the 8-bit character sets AFAIK. You'd have to go to a UCS to display it, so simply useing Gnome wouldn't do it. See, for instance, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Character_Set
You *can* however, see most of the multi-byte characters on gaggle groups.
--
☯☯

    [ ... ]

    O.K. That comes from the data returned by "uname -a", which is:
=====================================================================SunOS Katana 5.10 Generic_120011-14 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Blade-1000 ====================================================================Where if you take the "SunOs" and the "5.10" it is translated to "Solaris" (SysV based) by those familiar with Suns. If it were "4.??" instead, it would be truly the BSD flavored "SunOs".

    Hardly seems worth the trobule. :-)

    O.K.
    Which sould be sufficient reason to avoid them in postings to usenet.

    O.K.
    Hmm ... reading that, each character has its own "unique name". I wonder whether that name can be represented in 7-bit ASCII? :-)

    No thank you.
    As it is, I feel free to let my spam filters use charactersets like "koi8-r" and "Windows-1251" as clues that it is spam, since I have never gotten a *real* e-mail in those (that I can tell, at least). :-)
    Enjoy,         DoN.

now explain the term "dead nuts" please? lol
vinny wrote:

Vinny:
    Impotence?
    "Dead nuts" would be a colloquial term meaning as accurate AND precise as could possibly be, given the measurement system(s) in use, eh?
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

<snip> =======In the context of improvised live tooling would this news item be of any help?
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/malaysiasexoffbeat ;_ylt=ApGJsSBMcySfuFyhuyaoO6_tiBIF
F. George McDuffee wrote:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/malaysiasexoffbeat ;_ylt=ApGJsSBMcySfuFyhuyaoO6_tiBIF
Unka George:
    We got some serious thread drift here. Let me get it back to metalworking - well at least with using a metalworking device - a belt sander.
Was it in here I saw the story about someone masturbating by using the friction of the inside nonabrasive side of a belt sander and had an orgasm which jerked him toward the belt more and got his testicles caught between the belt and roller and flipped him across the room? Then he (being the tough machinist he was and embarrassed too) he stapled his scrotum together and went back to work. When he got a major infection and finally went to emergency the doctor had to remove the rusty staples and then found out there was one testicle missing.
    I'd pretty much call that "dead nuts", or rather a singular dead nut.
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob
    [ ... ]

    It was not a sanding belt, but rather a belt driven machine tool (from overhead lineshafts with long leather drive belts) -- probably a lathe, though other machine tools might put the belt more within reach.. The rest is pretty close.
    And yes, I have seen it here -- and various other places too. I think even in Snopes' urban legend site.
    Here it is -- and it is marked as true:
        <http://www.snopes.com/risque/penile/scrotum.asp
    Enjoy,         DoN.

http://tinyurl.com/6ezfqf