Friction Drilling

To All:

Here is a neat process I saw in the current issue of MMSONLINE. Some excerpts of the article follow:

Chip-Free Drilling Process Creates Holes And Bushings

By Derek Korn

Drilling holes in thin-walled parts isn’t hugely challenging. The process might require some means of workpiece support to counteract the pressure of the drill as it begins to penetrate the material. Depending on the application, the hole may also need to be deburred or chamfered.

The Flowdrill concept uses a conical drill that contacts material with high axial (downward) pressure and rotational speed. The frictional heat the drill generates softens the material, making it malleable enough for the drill to pierce the workpiece and form a collar and bushing around the hole.

The tungsten carbide Flowdrills are available in diameters from 0.06 to 2 inches and can hold 0.0005-inch repeatability. They can be used on standard drilling machines or CNC machine tools, operating at power levels between 1.5 to

3.5 kW and spindle speeds from 1,000 to 3,500 rpm.

For applications requiring a smooth joining surface or a chamfered hole, flat Flowdrill versions can be used to cut the collar that is formed on the surface of the workpiece. Fluted-tip Flowdrills are recommended for coated materials because the tip helps remove the coating at the start of the drilling operation. Fluted Flowdrills also help prevent the deformation of thin workpieces that can occur because of the drill’s downward pressure. This distortion can also be avoided by drilling a small starter hole. ===========================================================================

Reply to
BottleBob

John:

We do friction bandsawing all the time for cutting thin sheet metal. If fact last Thursday someone was friction cutting some thin titanium and the sparks were going EVERYWHERE. Sure glad *I* wasn't wearing shorts while walking back and forth between the computer and the CNC (have to walk by the bandsaw to get to that particular CNC machine). Might have set my socks on fire. Hi Bill.

Reply to
BottleBob

That's something like a friction band saw. Take an old blade and run it at 12000 to 25000 feet per minute and you can melt your way through a piece of steel.

John

Reply to
John

I wrote a macro once for "regrinding" friction drills. What looks like a cylindrical solid with a tapered point is actually a "square" shape formed by convex sides/corners.

Reply to
Jan Nielsen

Jan:

Now that's very interesting, and I thank you for that input. I wonder why they didn't mention that in the MMSONLINE article. Here is an excerpt from the Flowdrill site itself:

Design

Flowdrill tools are molded and shaped from very high strength tungsten carbide. The forming part of the tool has a polygonal shape with four facets. These facets produce the friction while turning at high speeds to heat and form the material. Flowdrills are designed with an almost flat conical tip that transitions into a sharper conical shape that leads into the cylindrical shape. The conical and cylindrical portions of the tool are polygon shaped. The cylindrical part of the tool determines the diameter of the hole. =======================================================================

Reply to
BottleBob