G83 Peck Depth Problem

Hi Folks, I encountered a strange problem today while drilling some holes and figured someone here must know what happened. Here's the initial line for the drill cycle. N5G43H1Z1. N6G98G83X1.0945Y.2631Z-.285R.03Q.1F5. There are about 20 other holes that follow this line. I ran the first few parts fine but noticed that the 3rd peck fed to Z-.275 leaving only .01 for the 4th and final peck so I changed the Q value in the cycle to Q.11 figuring I could eliminate the wasted 4th peck. I drilled the next part and it did just what I wanted , 3 pecks to the bottom. The problem is that instead of rapiding up the the initial Z1. it rapided up to about Z-.165 and went on the the next hole breaking the drill in the hole. I was able to save the part luckily but now I'm wondering what the heck. I changed back to Q.1 and everythings fine except for the 4th peck which I can live with but I want to know what's going on. Any ideas? Thanks Duffy

Reply to
Duffy

G0 X1.0945 Y.2631 G43 H1 Z1. G83 F5. Q.11 D.005 V-.08 R.03 Z-.275 G99 unless you have a different control, you didn't say

Quirky things can happen if proper procedures aren't followed to re-start a program, for example after an edit, and the proper initialization startup blocks aren't read

HTH Bart

Reply to
Bart

Bart, I left out the control. It's a generic fanuc compatible control on a 3 axis vertical mill. I did reinitialize the program after the change and started it from the begining. The original code works fine. Just changing Q.1 to Q.11 serews up the retract position. I didn't have enough time to play around with it today as it happened at he end of the day. I'll finish the job tomorrow and then experiment and maybe give the manufacturer a call. Thanks, Duffy

Reply to
Duffy