Harbor Freight electronic calipers warning

"Pete C." wrote:

LR44s are eight for a buck at Dollar Tree. They are 'Sunbeam' brand.

On Tue, 13 Dec 2011 06:40:21 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@rahul.net (Edward A. Falk) wrote:

Not today, though. I have roughing-in 5 can lights on the list for today, and they're close by.
And a half dozen little calls in various far-off directions backed up because of the weather, not worth chancing it for the amount of the potential bill...
I try not to play Bumper Cars except at an amusement park. So when the weather gets bad I sit it out (except for true emergencies) and watch everyone *else* go way too fast in the rain/snow, follow far too closely, and slam into each other too solidly - on the Evening News, not in the target cross-hairs. Keeps the insurance rates reasonable.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * You can buy good shop lights and put them up yourself, the trick is in bringing along your Big Brass Ones and ignoring the "Cheaper is Better!" voice in your head.
Get the good Lithonia shop fixtures for $35 to $45 each instead of the crap Lights Of America for $12. Double the light efficiency, double the lamp life, and triple the fixture service life. And the proper high-frequency electronic ballasts will reduce strobing issues with lathes and drills, so you aren't tempted to grab a spinning chuck that looks stopped...
Oh, and if they are open reflectors get some Tube Guard sleeves too.
I pulled out the Keyless Porcelains and made them switched duplex outlets on the garage ceiling, and have most of my lights chain hung with cord drops and a few cube taps in the popular spots - you move things around too often to fight with hardwired lights.
--<< Bruce >>--

    Well ... if you are willing to put in serious money, some Mitutoyo ones will not only hold the reference, but also can hold both a temporary reference, and hold the absolute zero, and switch between them by holding a button a few seconds.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Thanks Don - I'll keep that in mind.

Hul Tytus wrote:

Also beware that HF digital calipers tend to be very susceptible to RFI. If I put my cheapo plastic calipers next to a fluorescent fixture, they go all wonky until placed well away.
--Winston
Winston - good point. The 8 in. caliper was losing the reference in an easily replicated way. The 12 in. devices wouldn't loose a digit in my living room. In the shop with, a dc motor running, they certainly would. I'll try to verify the motor being the cause tomorrow.
Hul