how are you going to spend the depression ?

well, some might see it as a summer vacation. going back to the same job when things get going again and others might plan on upgrading their education, learning something else because there are no guarantees. just curious, I was already looking at another trade but inquired and found my age might be a hinderance towards gaining required hours as an apprentice, so I'm still thinking on what else I would like to do.

Reply to
raamman

What depression?

Reply to
Black Dragon

I just worked 58 hours and im broke. I say bring it on! Im up for a vacation!!!

Reply to
vinny

Take same anti-depressants ?

Reply to
Uhh_Clem

Are you kidding? What do you do for a living now?

Skilled machinists are in demand, always, in the extreme, all over North America. In Racine, WI, according to a recent news report, the unemployment rate is over 10%; but there are a THOUSAND jobs open, unfilled, for skilled people. The city of Racine is actually sponsoring a major effort to teach people how to operate CNC machinery. These are people who used to work at production jobs, and other things that were typically "industrial", but didn't require high levels of skill.

A recent survey sponsored by TechSpec/Losasso found that, among metalworking companies that responded, the most feared threat to company health is finding qualified labor. 74% of the respondents called it threat number one! This ranked AHEAD of things like general economic conditions (66%), and offshore competition (46%).

To see the survey results, go to:

From that page, click "Start Survey", then "Submit", then "Download PDF of Survey Results".

Considering labor-pool conditions here in Eastern PA, and what I know about Ohio, Michigan, and some other places, it's clear that people without skills are in for a rough ride. But I suspect that real machinists will still be working overtime even if the overall unemployment rate goes to 50%.

The grass is literally, currently, right before your eyes, turning brown and wilting on the other side of the fence. How can you still imagine that it's greener than the shop where you keep your tools right now?

KG

Reply to
Kirk Gordon

BD,

I would agree. I just got back from going out to dinner with the wife and the place was jam packed. I went out to lunch today and the place was jam packed. The local strip mall was packed last Saturday and a friend of mine just purchased a new home. If you have good credit, the money is there for loans. All I hear is bad news from the media yet most people I speak to are doing just fine. Life is good.

gary

Reply to
g-a-r-y

Black Dragon wrote in news:gdtefe$1slj$ snipped-for-privacy@bdhi.local:

He must be posting from Europe.

Reply to
D Murphy

I see the same things you're seeing. Plus, I haven't heard of any machine / mold / tool shops laying people off because of lack of work. In fact, numerous local manufactures are running help wanted ads in the papers and I've seen help wanted signs sitting in front of a few machine shops for months now. Last week I got two phone calls out of the blue from companies who want to hire me because they're swamped, companies I've never applied for a job at but employ ex-cow-orkers of mine. Too bad for them I can think of many reasons to stay at my current job but can't think of a single sound reason to leave it at this time.

Where's this alleged depression people are talking about?

Reply to
Black Dragon

According to his headers he's posting from Canada. No difference.

Reply to
Black Dragon

============= It all depends in which sector you are employed.

Financial and automotive are currently taking it on the shin. Capital intensive operations depending on borrowed money are also in trouble, e.g. new car dealers.

Unka' George [George McDuffee]

F. George McDuffee