If your mill has a tool laser....

Than heed my advice. Some folks have it setup to probe every tool every time the program is ran. This is a horrible idea.
Especially with ball mills, tapered cutters, etc... The bottoms wear, and the cutter essentially is dropped down.
Say you have 30 electrodes. And it probes every time, the last part there might be 3-4 tenths worn off the bottom, literally dropping the unworn part of the cutter 3-4 tenths. If your hardcutting the bottom of a ball mill could wear a bunch.

Cutters worn. Bring a new one in! The new hi fuck'n tech CNC's should determine that & select one automatically or have one all setup waiting, right? (if not already in the double 24 tool carousels thats 48 tools to choose from) Come on man, Time=money & cutters aint that expensive. Spindles should not stop. WTF ya think china's do'in? Oh cost to much? Then don't probe. dumbass<g> No wonder why it costs too much to machine something in the states. Sorry I'll stop now & wait for a response.
--

Some people make things happen....

Cutters worn. Bring a new one in! The new hi fuck'n tech CNC's should determine that & select one automatically or have one all setup waiting, right? (if not already in the double 24 tool carousels thats 48 tools to choose from) Come on man, Time=money & cutters aint that expensive. Spindles should not stop. WTF ya think china's do'in? Oh cost to much? Then don't probe. dumbass<g> No wonder why it costs too much to machine something in the states. Sorry I'll stop now & wait for a response. ******** Your right. If your going to run attended, have it do a check for wear, and grab a new tool, and go from there. Other than that, pickup once and go.
We are going backwards. We are doing what the germans did in ww2, buiding things that take too long relative to the benefits.

German's? The best "over" engineers in the world! I can say that because I work for a private German company. Dont misunderstand me, I'm not knocking German's here. Along with Austrians /Swiss, they are the best toolmakers/engineers in the world & I've said that in the past many times. The one thing they lack that American Toolmakers(not most engineers) get is KISMIW. KEEP IT SIMPLE MAKE IT WORK. WTF is so hard to understand about that? I've seen the "best" automation systems in the world, no shit man, my jaw was on the floor. Hi tech German stuff. Took 6mo - 1yr to get it going! Guess what? Job's over, it's life cycle is only 1yr (cell phones, gotta have a new one every year!) The company I was at, hired temp's & hand assembled the housings,- done! While the automation system sat there in the dark. Get it? My "mentor" when I was a kid (Yugoslavian almost German) said the simplest way is ALWAYS the best way. He'd make fixtures/nests for everything- "cheap & dirty" was his saying. His electrodes were works of art! broached - picked - polished- everything on one trode!. One month to make the trode, but 1 day to burn the job! Get it? Don't feel bad, not many do, especially most dumb ass cheap skate shop owners lookin to save a penny while the dollar bills fly out the window!
Ok enough "get it's" I think more than just a "few" here do.
Gil Member of ==American Toolmakers= using the "old world" ways with yesterdays technology building Tomorrows Dreams http://tinyurl.com/HoldzemOnEbay