Machine vises, Kurt or Parlec? opinions?

Which vise is better, Kurt or Parlec. I have about 5 Kurts vises now. D60 D675 and D688. Looking for 2 new D688's or Parlec 6900's. Both are USA made and Parlec says it matches Kurt's dimensions.

My old D60's do not line up when I bolt them all on the CNC table. All the new vises match the solid jaw and bottom keyways.

Thank You, Randy

Remove 333 from email address to reply.

Reply to
Randy

Randy-- I have always liked the Kurt vises. In any case, I would look for the vise that has the back jaw support as an integral part of the base. The type with the bolt on back support and a key between the base and support can move when thightened causing some location variences.

Neal

Reply to
Neal

Randy, I bought a couple of these Kurt 3600V vises when I bought my new VMC. They came from Kurt match ground at no additional cost. I liked the fact that you can lay this vise on it's side for taller parts. They also have a brush type seal to keep the chips out of the screw and nut. They also have grooves on the bed of the vise that you can slide a piece of shim stock in so that the screw is protected from chips when the jaw is opened far enough to expose the screw. All in all I am very impressed with the vises. The drawback is they won't open to 8" like the D688s.

By the way I bought Parlec holders for my spindle tooling. I am very happy with those also, so I would think their vises would also be of good quality.

Here's a link to the vises I bought:

I paid around $500 ea for my vises when lumped in with the rest of my tooling.

Best, Steve

Reply to
Garlicdude