Mazak SQT series lathes

Anyone have problems with th piston/block assy on the turret that controls coolant.

When this leaks it allows coolant to contaminate the hydraulic system also is very prone to chips being allowed all thre way to this manifold.

Thanks in Advance Daveb

Reply to
Anonymous

Sheesh nice typing eh in three post's, I made two or three grammer errors, and a few typo's.

Least its on topic Daveb

Reply to
Anonymous

Dave,

This is a problem on almost every Mazak turning machine. There's an o-ring that slides over a cross hole, and gets shredded in a fairly short time. And, of course, the whole thing is prone to getting plugged up with chips. The good news is, it's easy to get at the thing and deal with it.

Take out the o-ring, and buy a supply of them. Plan to replace it whenever there's an excuse, like when the machine is down or empty for any reason at all.

MSC (or maybe McMaster Karr) sells inexpensive cartridge filters that are easy to plumb into the output line from the coolant pump. I like the long plastic types that use woven polyester cartridges. That'll stop the chips, and will let you run for months at a time without trouble.

Hope this helps!

KG

Reply to
Kirk Gordon

that slides over a

whole thing is prone to

and deal with it.

there's an excuse,

easy to plumb into the

woven polyester

without trouble.

The biggest problem comes from people removing the block to clean it (2 short 2 long shcs) and putting the long bolt in the short holes and stripping them.

I took a quick look, the back holes are easy to tap out but not sure why the front ones are so shallow.

I have to take a turret apart over the weekend and see if there isn't a way to tap the front holes out

Even the piston with the plastic tip is crap, just a poor design.

This customer machines only plastic and the chips or strings (whatever are hard to manage at times getting in things.

I had to change the oil in one machine twice in two weeks because of contamination.

Thanks Kirk appreciate the reply, Daveb

Reply to
Anonymous

Dave On most of the mazak lathe I've used the problem is when chips make there way to the block/piston it will destroy the rubber seal on the end of the brass piston that pushes on the turret when the turret clamps. This is a big problem if you run plastics and some metals that get thought the coolant pump. You need to pull the block off and clean the chips from the coolant lines/block also replace the O-rings that keep the coolant and oil from contaminating. On some lathe we put on coolant filters like the millers have. If you have High presure coolant this could add to the oil contamination problem if the O-rings are shoot.

kimandmc

easy to plumb into the

woven polyester

without trouble.

Mcmaster-carr

4422K3 water filter 3/4" pipe 27.69 (this is a big filter 12" long). 7191K11 pleated cellulose filter cartridge 3.96 EA. 73605T62 garden hose-to-pipe connectors pack of 4 8.59
Reply to
Why

easy to plumb into the

woven polyester