Making file sizes smaller ??

I have some Cummins and Deutz engines in assy format and they are quite large, I tried to save them into a prt. format to try and save space, but it didnt seem to help at all. Im not so much concerned with the size of the file itself, but rather the performanbce of rotating, zooming, ect, when the engine is in the model. Wheneven possible, I surpress the engine and get around the model just fime. But it is impractical to leave it surpressed all the time since I have to check for interference, fits, ect with other components. Is there some way to save this assy and have it small so it will not effect performance so much.. Maybe some type of file compression that saves only the outer features that are actually visible ?? Once I get the engine model into the motormounts, there is nothing I will ever have to change on th motor itself, so there is no problems with not being able to modify it later on....Thanks in advance. Jake Barron

Reply to
Jake Barron

What is your computers configuration, Graphics, RAM etc?

-- Tony O'Hara Melbourne, Australia.

Reply to
Tony O'Hara

Here are a couple of considerations.

1) To reduce file size, from within SolidWorks, select 'File | Save As' and save to the same file name. Note: This may not reduce the file to it's smallest size. If using simplified configurations (see #3 below), save with this configuration active. 2) Load the component (part or assembly) as lightweight. You will still be able to see these components, but they won't be completely loaded in memory. 3) Use simplified configurations. For parts, create a simplified configuration that has cosmetic (non functional) features suppressed. For assemblies, create a simplified configuration that has hidden components suppressed. When you are working with the models, use the simplified configurations.

Lenny

Reply to
Leonard Kikstra

Hi Jake

You could also try enable the setting "tools options general performance

Reply to
Krister L