Finding hole centre's in cylinders, how?

Hi, I am making a sheet metal cylinder like an emersion heater. There is a hole in one side of the cylinder into which a tank fitting is inserted. Here lies my problem. When in the flat state, I am able to position the hole and also to insert an Axis, but when the flat sheet is rolled up( unflattened), there is no Axis, as this is left on the flat sketch! Now in an assembly, because the hole is no longer a round hole and the surface of the sheet is no longer Linear, I can not put any constraints between the tank fitting and the cylinder. The only way I have found is to use 2 planes, 1 vertical and 1 horizontal to the hole centre, draw 2 line sketches, then constrain to these.Blooming lots of work when more than 1 hole !!! And also no constrain of the fitting to the suface of the cylinder! Any ideas please??

Reply to
pete

Could you make the fitting tangent to the edge of the hole? Then put a distance mate from a plane at the center of your cylinder to the bottom of your fitting?

Ken

Reply to
Ken Bolen

I don't do much sheetmetal work, but I think I would try putting the holes in, while the cylinder is in the unflattened state.

Jay

Reply to
Jay

Depends on what he wants. If he puts the hole in the flat, he ends up with a distorted hole when he wraps the cylinder.

Jerry Steiger Tripod Data Systems

Reply to
Jerry Steiger

You must cut the hole out in the formed state. Otherwise you will have to keep using your creative mating.

Reply to
Jeff Parker