Concerned undergrad looking for answers...

Greetings, I am presently at a non-ivy league engineering school, taking electrical. I have a few questions to put to the seasoned engineers in the group.

My grades are so-so, except in mathematics, where they are for the most part quite good. I am strongly considering persuing math at grad school for this reason alone.

As a child I wanted most of all to invent, and felt that this was the best track to go along. I've always had problems with grades however, mostly due to emotional instability rather than lack of aptitude. I base this only on high IQ scores, ability in other areas (music, art, abstract math), and knowing my own thinking as being different than those of my peers.

Im confident that I will graduate and be given a degree from this school (Ottawa U), but I am not confident that I will be able to get into graduate school, or even be allowed to do another degree and try again. I am also concerned that my grades and the status of my school will prevent me from getting work in the field. Is it accurate to say that my degree, unless achieved with citation, is effectively useless as a tool by which to enhance my career and education?

It seems to me that being an independent inventor is rediculously difficult to do in todays society (at least outside of graduate education). Patents take years to earn, years to develop and sell rights to, and there are a barrage of people within the system that are not out for your best interests. Is this really such an unrealistic career path?

Advice as to the best course would be most valued from anyone in this group.

Thanks,

Charles

Reply to
Charles

Sounds like lack of confidence. Grades do affect you getting into the grad. program you want or getting that first job. All things being equal, admissions and employers do look at grades. If you look long enough, you will find a grad. program that will accept you. And you will find an employer who likes some of your other qualities. After you get that first job, the grades are far less important. You will be measured by what you have accomplished.

Sincerely,

Donald L. Phillips, Jr., P.E. Worthington Engineering, Inc.

145 Greenglade Avenue Worthington, OH 43085-2264

snipped-for-privacy@worthingtonNSengineering.com (remove NS to use the address)

614.937.0463 voice 208.975.1011 fax

Don Phillips

Math is one of those areas where "quite good" may not be "good enuf."

IF you were usually of the top one or two in your math classes then consider going on in math. Otherwise, your math degree(s) will not make much difference.

There are a LOT of math MS and even Ph.D. holders who are actually working as programmers or engineers (or administrators/managers). If you have a math "calling" go for it. Otherwise, either enter the work force or go for a MBA.

Reply to
John Gilmer

I think you could do well more in Marketing/Sales areas where your GPA is not that important. You seem to be quite eloquent in your written (& hopefully verbal, as well) communication judging from your posting

- in sales/marketing, communication skill (and the fact that you score high in math means you have raw intelligence which should be helpful).

If you can get the first job and learn about the products that your employer makes (first few years of engineering career is mostly on the job training anyway) and then you could "transfer" to application/sales engineering.

Reply to
Nam Paik