Looking for Kroil Recipe

I used to have a homemade recipe for Kroil (I believe it used ATF), but
can no longer find it. If anyone has it, would you please post it?
Thank you!
Dave Young
Reply to
Dave Young
I doubt if you'll be able to get the proprietary recipe for Kroil. You may be thinking of the 50-50 mix of kerosene and automatic transmission fluid. It makes a good cutrting oil and the kero would give it some penetratring properties, but it in no way duplicates Kroil.
Bob Swinney
Reply to
Robert Swinney
I agree, but there used to be a recipe that folks swore by. It seemed like it was a bit more than kerosene and atf. But I could be wrong...
Thanks,
Dave
Robert Sw> I doubt if you'll be able to get the proprietary recipe for Kroil. You may
Reply to
Dave Young
Maybe you're looking for "Ed's Red". one part lacquer thinner, one part acetone, one part kerosene and one part ATF. Tom
Reply to
Tom Wait
Dave,
This doesn't answer your question but have you tried "PB Blaster" - that is, if you are looking for a magical penetrating oil?
buffalo
Tom,
I think that's it!
Thank you!
Dave
Tom Wait wrote:
Reply to
Dave Young
Buffalo,
I have used it and it does work great. I was actually asking about the Kroil for a friend who doesn't like 'puters....
Dave
buffalo wrote:
Reply to
Dave Young
Not compared to Kroil!
Reply to
Tom Gardner
I assume you have used both?
Anyone ever used wintergreen oil from the drugstore? Good but not magic.
buffalo
Kroil is the best I've used, a little better than Ed's Red, but at about a buck an ounce for Kroil, I'll just squirt on a little more home brew. I bought a 8 oz. can of Kroil once and when it ran out, I mixed up a gallon of ER and never thought about Kroil again. I use ER a lot, all day, every day in the shop. Kroil is just too dear for my budget. Tom
Reply to
Tom Wait
PB is good, Kroil is much better. PB smells bad. Wintergreen oil? Mix PB with it? You're ON to something!
Reply to
Tom Gardner
On Thu, 15 Feb 2007 01:23:57 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Dave Young quickly quoth:
I've never seen that recipe, but here's one for Ed's Red bore cleaner from the $7 SKS/Mosin Nagant CD I picked up at
(std disclaimer applies.) It's the only recipe I've ever seen using ATF and contains some of the bulk ingredients the nut looseners use.
-Equal measures of K1 kerosene, ATF, mineral spirits, and acetone.- Store in non-volatile containers. (It'll eat some plastics.) He says it doesn't have the lovely scent of Hoppe's #9, but it works great.
CAUTION: FLAMMABLE MIXTURE -- HARMFUL IF SWALLOWED -- KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN Contents: petroleum distillates, surfactants, organometallic antioxidants and acetone. 1) Flammable mixture, keep away from heat, sparks or flame. 2) FIRST AID, If swallowed DO NOT induce vomiting, call physician immediately. In case of eye contact immediately flush thoroughly with water and call a physician. For skin contact wash thoroughly. 3) Use with adequate ventilation. Avoid breathing vapors or spray mist. It is a violation of Federal law to use this product in a manner inconsistent with itsonsistent with its labeling. Reports have associated repeated and prolonged occupational overexposure to solvents with permanent brain and nervous system damage. If using in closed armory vaults lacking forced air ventilation wear respiratory protection meeting NIOSH TC23C or equivalent. Keep container tightly closed when not in use.
Note: If you are planning on using this cleaner inside, in a poorly ventilated area, leave out the Acetone.
- Interpreted Interpolations Done Dirt Cheap. -----------
Reply to
Larry Jaques
Larry,
No offense whatsoever BUT why do you feel it necessary to post all of the cautionary caveats?
Have we come to this because of lawyers or thinking others are dumb or.......?
buffalo
On Fri, 16 Feb 2007 00:06:29 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "buffalo" quickly quoth:
2 reasons: copyright and lawyers.
1) because the cautionary text was in that file and 2) JIC someone's idiot stepchild makes some indoors with no ventilation and wants to sue me for wrongful death. I'm just sick to death of this litigous climate in the USA nowadays. Shakespeare was right...
------------------------------------------- Jack Kevorkian for Congressional physician! ===========================================
Reply to
Larry Jaques
Go to kano labs website.
Place order.
Done.
Sheesh.
Reply to
Ecnerwal
Wow...wonder why I didn't think of that....
Regular Einstein, aren't you?
Ecnerwal wrote:
Reply to
Dave Young
I have and have done it again.
Got a nice offer to try out some new stuff.
They are a small and nice company.
Martin
Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot"s Medal. NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member.

Ecnerwal wrote:
Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn
All I can find around here is synthetic "oil of Wintergreen". Have you ever tried "Breakfree"?
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell
Never even heard of Breakfree. Is it very good?
I used to use S'Okay and it smelled of oranges so pretty sure it was citrus oil/acid. It worked great. I can't find it anymore.
buffalo
BreakFree and Triflow..best gun oils ever made. Works pretty good on other stuff too.
Gunner
Political Correctness
Gunner