No Angular Relationship

Assume that you have a short piece of pipe with two cross-drilled holes. The holes are drilled in two separate operations and do not
need to be aligned with each other.
In the old days, I put a note on the drawing that said NAR, an acronym for "No Angular Relationship;" and everyone knew what was expected.
The young kid with his ANSI Y14.5M face hanging out says that there should be no note at all. That all GD&T notes are restrictive, not permissive.
OK I guess. I mean, whether the machinist makes the holes at 0 degrees to one another or at 90 degrees to one another, there's nothing to reject the part. And that's fine.
But you just can't give machinists that kind of freedom. Any machinist who looks at the print is going to ask how the holes should be aligned on the assumption that the designer screwed up and left a critical dimension off the print.
Is there a way of unambiguously stating this on the print without resorting to plain old English - which is apparently out of favor?

Even though he is correct, IMO you as an engineer should feel perfectly free to clarify such feature relationships by manually adding notes wherever practical--this especially when doing so will lower manufacturing cost and or result in less confusion on the shop floor.
That said, I suggest the both of you should try and find more productive ways to while away company time.

George wrote:

180.000 +/-175.000 Degrees?
Gotta leave a little room so somebody doesn't put both holes in the same place, right?
KG
George wrote:

180 deg 179 deg?
ca