Single Point Threading Problems?

I still run into shops having trouble with Single Point Threading on a CNC Lathe while using a LayDown Threading System. After a couple of
questions I can usually fix the problem. Here are the 2 questions: 1) What Anvil do you have under the Insert? 2) How far in front of the Thread are you Starting the Thread Cycle?
The typical answer to # 1 is : You mean the seat under the insert has an angle ? The typical answer to # 2 is : Wherever the Default was set in the control by the Factory.
The link below is an article from Cutting Tool Engineering I wrote 6 years ago. http://www.ctemag.com/pdf/2002/0210-laydown.pdf
By focusing on these 2 areas most if not all of your problems will go away when using the LayDown Threading System.
Sincerely, JR
JRWheels wrote:

No troubles here but I bought a few different angled seats and have my handy dandy JRWheels excell spread sheet to tell me which one to use.
Nice to have you back JR. Maybe with a little luck we can get this group back to something useful as well as fun.
Best, Steve
--

Regards,
Steve Saling

JR, this has nothing to do with theading, but I was just wondering if you represent or have experience with any high end PCD tipped face mills (for aluminum) that are on the market, like the Sandvik Century, Valenite VFlash, Kennemetal KSCM, SP3, or any others you might recommend? Something that I can buy pre-assembled, pre-set, pre- balanced, and ready to stick into the machine and run at 15 or 18K.

Yep but the VKX 3ERO.45 iso inserts I bought from you I had to run with a 1.5 anvil. I know that's wrong but the 5/8" laydown bar I was using on my gang tool does not have a changeable anvil.
Well the job 303 ran 12,000 pcs on 4 corners, damn those are good inserts.