Talk About High Material Prices, How's This...

    A 28" X 28" X 2" flat plate of magnesium is like $5,000+, it that crazy or what?

--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

How much and what size is the plate they are going to have to saw it out of?
Wes
snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com wrote:

Wes:
    You have a point there, but even if it came out of a plate 3 times that size, I still wouldn't think it should cost THAT much.
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

AND, on top of it all, it's *flammable*! :)
If Alum, that would weigh about 143#, x $2.50 = $350. I figgered Mg would be 2-3x the price of Alum. $5K seems like a lot. I think Hadco, Yarde does Mg -- I or you could check with them Mon.
What is a chunk of Mg like that used for?
--
PV'd

DrollTroll wrote:

DT:
    We cut it dry at a relatively slow RPM and aggressive feeds, so the tool never sits there and rubs. We have a barrel of concrete always at the ready. We never leave the machine while it's cutting.

    Thanks, we've got it covered, found a place that had some for about half the price.

    Vibration test fixtures. We do them all time time for two different customers.
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

What type of vibration, and why Mg?
--
PV'd

DrollTroll wrote:

DT:
    It's on a need to know basis, and we don't need to know.
    But seriously, lots of aerospace parts are tested for durability through vibration testing, to simulate flight and/or launch conditions.     They use magnesium because of it's low mass, so it doesn't dampen the vibrations as much as steel or aluminum would.
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob
DrollTroll wrote:

DT:
    Yeah, we used to play with the fine mag chips out back in the parking lot during break. But after a few good sized light flashes & BOOMS, setting off all the car alarms, the neighbors started calling the cops. "Why no officer, we don't know anything about this, we just came out the back to see what all the commotion was ourselves. Anyway, we discontinued those sorts of shenanigans.     Fine aluminum chips/dust mixed & shaken with hydrochloric acid in a water bottle tends to make a good sized BOOM as well. Kinda sprays the hydrochloric acid around, so that's not really such a hot idea either. Those damn ADULT kids... the over 50 bunch are some of the worst offenders. LOL
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob
BottleBob wrote:

That 13" dia X 2.25 thick piece of nickel 200 you guys turned up for me last winter was $8,300.00 Bob.
--

John R. Carroll
www.machiningsolution.com
John R. Carroll wrote:

John:
    Yeah, but nickel 200 is SUPPOSED to be expensive. This is just a dumb piece of mag.
    Oh, BTW I see you DID rat me out to "THE GIRL". LOL Thanks, I'll have serious back up now, for getting the next week or two off. Since I've started the process to seeing an Ophthalmologist. The floater went away from my central field of vision, but it's still cruising around the periphery. But the big deal is that a few days after the floater posts I started seeing lights around the edge of my vision.
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob
BottleBob wrote:

I'm glad you are going to see a professional. I hope she gave you hell! LOL
--

John R. Carroll
www.machiningsolution.com
John R. Carroll wrote:

John:
    I had already made the appointment to the referral doctor days ago, before I talked to her today. She went easy on me. <g>
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

Good for John. That's what friends are for, kicking you in the ass when you need it and if that fails call in the big guns, "THE GIRL" that won't put up with your macho shit.....LOL.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Tom:
    I do believe you've GOT IT. LOL
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

Well then appreciate keep him the fuck away from me cause whatever in the hell it is he has I dont want to risk me or any of my loved one's catching it.

What was it made into? And why specifically Nickel??
Goddamm, I hope Alum stays under $3.00/#. -- PV'd

BottleBob wrote:

I'm not inclined to look up the density of magnesium to figure out price per pound at this moment but the material we make molds from for die cast magnesium is Uddeholm Dievar. It costs anywhere from $12 to $20 per pound. A 100 pound piece of steel isn't very big...
--
Black Dragon

The United States Army: