Why rotary encoders instead of scales?

I've often wondered why most CNC equipment rely on encoders or resolvers mounted to the motor vs linear scales on the slides. It would seem scales would be superior.

Any reasons why?

Wes

Reply to
clutch

Cost, for the most part. Durability is also an issue.

Reply to
John R. Carroll

Wes, Cost would be my guess. In a typical application the builder or retro-fitter gets a motor along with an encoder or resolver as a package. Saves mounting and aligning scales.

Just a guess, but cost is what usually drives decisions like this.

Best, Steve

Reply to
Garlicdude

Cost--especially nowadays where oftentimes your rotary encoder is using mylar disc instead of glass.

Reply to
PrecisioNmachinisT

Wes,

There are lots of reasons and cost is one of them. Maintaining them is more trouble too. The table must have no side to side movement or the head spacing can get out of spec.

Another thing is that I can get the gain MUCH higher with a nice tight motor / encoder combination. Just a little lost motion (with scales) will force me to lower the gain, accel, and decel. If you need the accuracy, scales are certainly necessary. On a large boring mill, they are almost a necessity due to expansion of the screw during the course of the day. On smaller machines, we can get acceptable accuracy with good screw/thrust bearing preload and bi directional laser comp.

Warren

Reply to
Warren

Cost. Since even if machine has scales, it still needs encoder in motor. This is needed for drive electronics to know what is rotation angle of motor. Because different phases of motor have to be "fed" accordingly to rotation angle.

snipped-for-privacy@lycos.com wrote:

Reply to
Tero Kaarlela