LabView versus DAQFactory

Hello Folks,
We are pondering which way to go. I guess everybody knows LabView. It is IMHO quite expensive and it seems to require a lot of dough to get into
a decent runtime deal. On the upside there are drivers for most anything and it is fairly easy to find a local programmer.
DAQFactory is much less expensive, the programming appears less daunting and it's geared towards production process control where we actually need it. Runtimes can be added at $99 and when buying the Dev pack for about $2.5k that includes royalty free runtimes. Of course, this software seems to be much less known. In Europe I have yet to find a friend who has ever heard of DAQFactory which has baffled me a bit considering that they know the LabJack. Another not so nice surprise was that the symbols weren't included except for very few samples, at least not with Express.
In case someone doesn't know DAQFactory it is the software where its Express version is bundled with the LabJack pods: http://www.azeotech.com /
So, what's your take? Go with the masses? Or maybe not?
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com

Shoot for the well-established company with the big user base. Those advantages constitute huge value added, and think long and hard before passing on them
--
Scott
Reverse name to reply

Of course, the above assumes that you need the functionality that Labview offers, and can tolerate some of the disadvantages-- that is, I've assumed either product will meet your needs.
--
Scott
Reverse name to reply

I guess that is a good strategy. Sometimes it is better to prefer a lesser known path, for example when we selected QNX over other OS'es because it was so much more robust. But the differences may be less in this case.

I believe you can make LabView do just about anything. Looks like more work because DAQ has many bells and whistles ready-to-go. All the way down to calling you on your cell phone if a certain event happens.