Putting the 'I' in 'PID'

On Mon, 20 Apr 2009 04:48:03 +0000, Ben Jackson wrote:

I blush. Not out of false modesty, but because I neglected to plug the damn thing. Here, I'll correct that: http://www.wescottdesign.com / actfes/actfes.html.

I'm not sure you still can -- thanks for reminding me. I #1 son hard at work reformatting all of the articles on my website; I can add this to his to-do list.
(it's interesting to watch him work. He ran my whole Master's thesis through OCR, then tidied it up -- including entering all the equations into an equation editor. He didn't have the vaguest notion of what the stuff _meant_, but you can give him an integral or an infinite sum and he knows how to tell OpenOffice how to typeset it. He's going to hit calculus one of these days and finally realize what all those pothooks and squiggles mean -- I wonder if it'll help, hinder, or not make a difference).

I've learned this the hard way several times by now, and it hurt every time (I'm slow). I think the time between lessons increases exponentially, but there's an unfortunate early termination to the experiment somewhere between 60 and 100 years, so I'll never know for sure.

No, I got seduced by paying work. It's still an ongoing project, though, for all that it's simmering gently on the back burner.
(For those of you who are wondering, Ben attended a class that I gave for Oregon Institute of Technology aimed at teaching control theory to embedded software engineers. Ben decided that the class needed a lab exercise, so he generously built a propeller on a stick that could be used to learn many ramifications of controlling real things in the real world. I've been developing it further, into something that can be produced economically in modest volumes, but more immediate profits have intervened for now.)
--
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Tim Wescott wrote:

I'll correct the correction: http://www.wescottdesign.com/actfes/actfes.html
You're welcome.
Jerry
Jerry Avins wrote:

Thank you, Jerry.
--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Already have it and am studying it.

Ah, but no teacher can predict what knowledge gaps a student will have! I get the feeling from reading Tim's book that it's aimed at someone who has at least a minimal clue already. For example, the answer to my original question was one that is _not_ in the book, and the answer is probably pretty obvious to someone who's implemented a PID controller _once_. My experience is that I can stare at the equations ad infinitum, but until I bang my knuckles on something, I just won't know what I'm looking at.

Hmm. You're making me think that "add a little deadband to work around tilt sensor noise" is a _bad_ thing :0

That's actually one of the tests I had planned once I've successfully implemented the 'I' part.
Thanks,
Rick